Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 0x80040256

• Please log in to reply

BAPI

BAPI

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When trying to play any media file in Windows media player, receiving the erroe 0x80040256. Following are the spacification of my system.

motherboard P4i65GV
Bios version- P1.30
Intel P4
Os XP

Can any one please resolve this issue?

Edited by BAPI, 03 April 2009 - 12:20 AM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,
My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you. Do you have any sound at all?

If not continue with the following steps:

I was looking up you motherboard it is an Asrocks P4i65GV correct?

If so click on this link here This is the latest driver download for your audio, save it to you desktop.

after you have saved it please click

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

Scroll down to Audio, see if there is a yellow exclamation point, open up the audio driver, is it functioning correctly?
Are you able to roll it back, and if so does your sound work?

If not click uninstall and the audio driver, after that is complete please reboot the computer, once it has rebooted then install the audio driver saved to your desktop, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Do you have sound now?

Please let me know, and good luck

Cbarnard

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Cbarnard,
First of all i would like to thank you for taking time to look into this issue and provide the solution. Please have a look below for the answers to your questions.
Beep sound is audible when some error is happening during windows exploration.
Under Device Manager there is no yellow exclamation point on the Audio Drivers.
When I try to check whether the audio device is working fine, it is displaying the device is working properly. But Iam unable to uninstall the driver from there. Because, I did not find any tab or button for uninstall of the same in that page anywhere while selecting the Audio driver.
I have downloaded the driver Filename: C-MEDIA_XP_2K_ME_98(UDA041_build04L).zip from the link you provided yesterday and tried to install the file. But when I ran the exe file it was not installed saying your chipset is not supported by this driver.

Is there any other driver or there is some issue with the OS?

Regards
Bapi

Edited by BAPI, 03 April 2009 - 01:52 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome back,
Please remove the side panel on the left side of your computer(as you look at the front) Please double check the manufacture and model of the motherboard.

This will help me figure out what driver is for your computer. That link should have been the correct one but hopefully we have figured out something.

Do you have a sound card installed in the pcmia slot? or are you using the onboard sound?

On your next reply,

Please include:

Brand of the computer and model number
Hdd size and the interface IDE (wide ribbon wire connection) or SATA (cable that looks like a phone line)
power supply wattage
Cd\dvd interface same as Hdd

Please get back to me and I will try to figure this out for you.

Cbarnard

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Will VLC Player work: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for replying back. Please find below the system information you need.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name ASRock P4i65GV (3 PCI, 1 AMR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Morgan Hill i865GV
System Memory 1014 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (03/26/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (HHAXC09710)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (HHAXC09710)

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-00FJA0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252F (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

In VLC media player the media file is running well by showing the progress of file run. But, song is not audible.

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Adding more information for your reference. When i am trying to install the audio driver of Asrocks for this mother board it is not being installed giving an warning message of

"Our audio chip provides multi-speaker surround and realistic sound effects. Due to the fact that your computer is not equipped with or audio chip, you can not avail yourself of these advanced features."

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thank you for this information

Download this driver

Install that driver then install this driver.

Please install them in that order. (Since there are two drivers one is probably a prerequisite to the other, and probably why you received an error.

Could you tell me the brand of the computer ie... Dell, Hp, custom?

Thank you

Good Luck

Cbarnard

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your response. The first driver was a modem driver which was already installed. I reinstalled the same once a gain. Then I tried to install the audio driver from the Asrock site which was provided by you at 2nd order. But I received the same info as

"Our audio chip provides multi-speaker surround and realistic sound effects. Due to the fact that your computer is not equipped with or audio chip, you can not avail yourself of these advanced features."

and the driver was not installed successfully.

My system brand is Zenith.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

The first driver was a modem driver which was already installed.

Ok sorry for that, I was hoping that the AMR driver might get us somewhere. It is able to provide audio support in certain situations.

Just for fun lets check all connections, check your power to the speakers, the I/O wire from the computer to the speaker (is it plugged in the correct port,I believe it is green in color) Check to make sure the speaker wires are properly connected to the sub woofer if you a higher end system.

if all connections are good, lets check the Bios to make sure the sound settings are enabled

Immediately during reboot Strike f2 this will bring you into the Bios, Once there don't touch or change any other settings unless I tell you please. Most likely under the Advanced tab, click on chipset configuration, scroll down and make sure onboard audio is enabled. If it is not enable it by hitting enter after you have highlighted it then toggle the setting to enabled. Once this is done hit f10 and click save then exit.

The computer will reboot. Now try your audio is it working, if not continue with instructions below.

Click Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manage> Audio, Video, and Game Controller

Locate the driver under this tab, double click on it. Up at the top of the pop up window click on the drivers tab, (it should be the second tab from the left. This should give you another window, to roll back or uninstall the driver. If the window says the device is not working properly. Roll back the driver then try your sound again. If that doesn't work and you still can't get your sound working then go back to that same window using my instructions. Uninstall the driver. Reboot the computer once you have logged back on then reinstall the audio driver.

Check your audio is it working now, Please let me know.

Good luck

Cbarnard

Advertisements

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you once a gain for putting your effort to resolve this issue.

I have already tried the steps you mentioned in your last communication. But, those did not work out.

When I go to Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manage> Audio, Video, and Game Controller to check the audio driver, I am not getting any Unstall or roll back option over there.

Regards
Manoj

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

When I go to Start> Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manage> Audio, Video, and Game Controller to check the audio driver, I am not getting any Uninstall or roll back option over there.

Just to check a couple things, When you enter the device manager for the audio:
There are several options
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtec high definition Audo (this entry is specific to my computer)
Video Codecs

You will also see these items, The only exception is what brand audio driver you have.
That is the one you need to double click on.
Once that windows opens look at the top.
You should see:
general tab, properties tab, drivers tab, and details tab

Click on the drivers tab this is the screen where you should be able to roll back from or update the driver:

I'm just telling you this in hopes that I didn't explain it clearly earlier. I'm sorry if that was the case.

Let me know if this works.
Cbarnard

BAPI

BAPI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In the Device Manager I saw the following options under sound video and game controllers.

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Advanced Game port
Video Codecs

Out of these options Advanced Game Port has only "uninstall" option. In your system Realtek High definition Audio is there. But, in my machine no installed audio driver is shown.

As I told you when I am trying to install the audio driver for this specific motherboard the following msg is displayed and installation is not completed.

After doing so much research I feel that the onboard sound card has some defect. This may be a hardware fault?

Anyway, Cbarnard, I would appreciate your efforts for trouble shooting and really I am thankful to you.

Thanks & Regards
Manoj

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,
Well before you give up completely,
Call asrock and talk to them they may have answer for you, I doubt you will get any replacement but they should be able to tell you about the error, and why your board might receive it. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get this resolved. If they can't get it figured out, Then (if you don't want to upgrade your computer) I would just purchase a sound card and use that, It sounds like your onboard sound is dead. good luck and if you need anything else please come back and we will be happy to assist you

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard