Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well seems as though my problem is fixed to the ability that im willing to admit now (lol) so I think you can close this thread. If it comes to the point where I just have to reformat I will either PM you or just post a new topic. Thanks

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I think I have finally came to the point where I will use the recovery. Can you please give me some instructions to take so that when I do recovery partition or whatever the problem is fixed. Thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK to use the recovery sector

Next time you turn on the computer press the F1 key until 'Entering Setup' appears and follow the prompts. Of course you should make a backup of anything important before you do any of the above.

And you must do a destructive recovery otherwise you will still have the problems. Your last recovery was not a destructive one, otherwise I would not have seen the Virut remnants in Norton quarantine

Follow the tutorial here to see what you need to back up - but do not back up programmes, screensavers or archived files (zip rar)

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
So all of my music files, my Vegas Pro, Photoshop and such things I should not back up? Also, how can I perform a destructive recovery and what will that type of recovery do?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The attached PDF will describe how to do a destructive recovery and explain it - you need to read the Recover to factory specifications paragraph

A destructive recovery will totally wipe your drive along with any remaining Virut activity and install as if you had just recieved it

You can retain your music files and photographs no problem just back them up to a cd - but no programmes as they may still carry the infection

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, Thanks alot. I am looking for maybe Sunday to do the recovery. My computer still see's some problems after doing all you can do. I was just holding out for my programs that are on my computer but I will just write them all down and just get them again and just save all my documents that I need. I will wait to Sunday which is when my school year will be officially over and I will not have to worry about any thing on the computer for school purposes so I know I won't mind doing this. Thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure - PM me when you start as I will put this on the back burner for now, just in case of any queries

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yes, I am just looking to backup all my Music, Photos, Etc files and then start the recovery console to get back to how my computer was from Day 1. Could I back up my files on DVD or CD's as data files?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Certainly I would recommend copying all the files you need to a new folder on your desktop so that they are kept together

First create a BACKUP folder on your desktop with the following subfolders :

MAIL
VIDEOS/MUSIC/PICTURES
DOCS
LICENCES
PROGRAMMES

To create one on your desktop right click a blank space > select NEW > select FOLDER. To create subfolders open the backup folder and on the file menu select new folder

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I thought you said don't backup Programs? Also, what would I need with Mail backed up? What's mail?

Edited by dch1314, 24 May 2009 - 11:27 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Apologies that was taken from a standard spiel I use. Mail is any e-mail messages you wish to keep

MAIL
VIDEOS/MUSIC/PICTURES
DOCS
LICENCES

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Also, should I compress the backup folder or keep it as is and put in on a CD?

I don't keep mail so I shouldn't need that folder.

Edited by dch1314, 24 May 2009 - 11:38 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Shouldn't be any need to compress unless you have lots of video/music, a CD is about 750 Mb. And if you have no mail then ignore that one