Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Would it be okay to backup .exe files like for Programs that I will want once I recover? Like the file I will have to download once again to install the program on my computer so the setup .exe files?

Yeah, this backup folder will be a couple Gigs based on some of the files I need to backup like Audio Books.

Edited by dch1314, 24 May 2009 - 11:43 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Now that I have revisted all the thread I would recommend that you get fresh copies of all the programmes you need to be doubly safe

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yes, that is what I was thinking so I can't even backup the .exe files either....the setup files for some of the programs I have?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No to be totally sure you will need fresh setup copies of all programmes. You can download them and put them in your backup folder but do not run them on the infected system

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, and once I do that the backup folder will be over 7 GB's what should I do?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Also, once I backup all of these files (I think I will have to compress them) I read the paragraph you talked about but I am not sure if that will completely do what you are looking for it to do because I did a recovery before and it still had all my old files (music, pictures, etc just not in the folder I had them in before it was just in the basic My Documents section)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You need to do the destructive recovery which will wipe the drive and should clear any trace of virut

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
That's what im asking how can I make sure I will be doing the destructive recovery?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you download the PDF on the previous page and go to Recovery to factory specifications

Start the computer and press F11 as soon as you can
Then select PC Recovery
Then Recover PC's factory settings

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok, I was just making sure. Now back to the backup folder because once I backup those files I am go to go from there. The entire folder is 6.7 GB's?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Burn it to a CD. Do you have a cd burner ?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yes, but it's 6.7 GB's how would that fit on a cd?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry I read that as MB not GB - you will need to make multiple discs or multiple DVD's

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, will do and once I have completed that I will post back so I can go through the next steps with you. It's kinda of scary knowing I will be doing this to mt computer even though it needs it

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have reformated XP many times, it is not that hard :)