Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I believe you. I am backing up my files through my jump drive and putting them on my backup computer since it's huge files (audio books) it may take a while but I will contact you when Im finished

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, I have officially backed up everything I can (that I needed). Should I officially turn my computer off, Press F11 and go from there or is there something else I must do before?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you have it all backed up then now is the time to jump :) Go for the F11

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok, I will do that get my computer back up. I will install my AVG and then I will come back on here and go from there because I only use Firefox so I will have to download that.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok, just like you stated, it has wiped out everything and set all the original products on my computer. I am actually feeling quiet good now since it's done. I first uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus the 30-day trial wasn't good enough for me and I installed AVG and once I seen I was protected I went online to Windows Update to get all necessary updates. I went to secunia.com to check that site out even though I didn't download all updates yet I thought I would come here and ask am I doing what I need to do and when should I look to download Firefox and I don't want Microsoft Office 30-Day Trial I would rather just use my portable version so how should I go about that? Thanks

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I tried to open my Microsoft Office Portbable Excel and my AVG poped up with a Trojan warning and it deleted the files off my computer. Do I need to run some scans or whatever to see if my computer is on the right road and start to get it back to how it was?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What did AVG report as you may need to wipe that USB - Abbyword is free and just as good as office - I can find a link for you if you like

Run MBAM to see what that says in case something got past AVG

Posted Image Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well I need Excel so that's why I use Office but I havet he 30 Day Trial currently but I want to get the portbale version back and no longer have the 30 day trial so after this MBAM scan I will need to know should I just use the add/remove to get rid of it or what

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2181
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/26/2009 12:58:38 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-26 (12-58-38).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83749
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There is open office which includes the following Database and spreadsheet in addition to WP and presentation. Have a look here it is free

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Thanks, I appreciate it but I really am comfortable with Excel and my college requires Microsoft Office 2007 so I would need it anyway. I have the portbale version I would just download it again hopefully there's no virus with it. However, the MBAM scan found nothing so that's great so should I use add/remove to remove all of the programs I don't want on my computer and then begin to download my Firefox, Microsoft Office Portable and such?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes but wipe the USB drive before you put anything else on it

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
How can I wipe the USB drive?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Right click it in explorer and select reformat

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well I right clicked and nothing came up to let me reformat. However, I did scan with AVG and MBAM and nothing was detected.