Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Image popups [Closed]

• Please log in to reply

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Hi,

Does the programm still run after the error and the popup is closed ?

Now, we are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:
My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:
My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.

Regards,

Advertisements

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
HI

Yes once i click ok on the error msg the program loads as normal. Usually get around 20 odd msgs while everything is loading once i turn the computer on.

I ran the sfc /scannow as requested, and then did a windows update. No updates were needed. Shut the computer down and restarted and the popup msgs remain unfortunately.

Helen

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Hi,

Lets try a repair of windows. Instructions are here.

Regards,

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hiya

Doesnt look like this is an option as windows came preinstalled. Any other ideas?

H

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have been checking other threads again, :).

Would running Dr.Web CureIt help find something? Found it in the following thread............

http://www.geekstogo...m...ml&hl=image

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Hi,

You can run it if you want (and post the log of course).

For Windows, don't you know anybody who has a cd of the same version of Windows ?

Regards,

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Double post, sorry.

Edited by XmichouX, 22 May 2009 - 02:03 AM.

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hiya

I tried the Dr web thingy but it didnt find anything. Will have to see if i can locate a copy of windows so i can try that way.

H

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Hi,

Okay.

Since this issue is not because of malware infection, I give you the prevention speech now :)

--------------

Prevention

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

First, let's reset your hidden/system files and folders. System files are hidden for a reason and we don't want to have them openly available and susceptible to accidental deletion.Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

~ Please download and run OTCleanIt
--> Click on the big CleanUp! button.

This Tool will delete all the tools we Used, if not, let me know which tools are still present !
It will also hide your hidden files etc.

~~ Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

~~~ Let's clean a little your temp folders :)

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All Unless on Vista then uncheck the prefetch area
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

~~~ Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.

- Your using an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, this can leave your pc open to vulnerabilities, you can update it here :
    http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

To keep your operating system up to date visit
  • Microsoft Windows Update
weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

You can too delete the tools we used for the disinfection.
Keep Malware Byte's Anti Malware.

~~~~ I invite to you now to (re)activating all your resident protections (Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall.).
You must have access to your protections in the systray zone beside the tasks bar. If you have difficulties, does not hesitate to question me!
If it is not done, make sure that the automatic updates of Windows are activated!
Update correctly your Softwares (Java, Adobe, Flash.) thanks to Sotware Inspector (at Secunia)

~~~~~ How to protect myself ?

Here are some programs free for personal use :

Antivirus softs :

Antispyware softs :

• SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.

Firewall :

Cleaners :

• IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

~~~~~~ Optimize your disc ?
Download and run Auslogics disc defragmenter

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

I will keep the topic open for a couple more days, so if you have a further problem to post a reply into this thread :)

Regards,

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for all of your help in getting my computer fixed.

A friend suggested i try a system restore, (me being a novice didnt think of this).

Anyways I have since done a system restore, reinstalled AVG and so far everything is working properly with no more error messages. It looks like it was an update that didnt install properly that caused the issue.

So thank you again for your time and assistance in helping me make sure my computer is clean from infections.

Advertisements

XmichouX

XmichouX

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,292 posts
Hi,

Cool that you find yourself the issues :)
Usually, when something (part of the OS) is going wrong, we have run the user a reparation. Let's say that the restauration is the last (last last) idea. But here is the proof that it can be useful :)

Regards,

hellp

hellp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Im glad we went through all the other steps first. It helped reassure me it wasnt a virus etc that i had picked up.

Have recommended this site to a colleague today as her computer is now infected with the antivirus 2009 virus.

Will definitely bookmark the site for future help.

Thanks

H