Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i have a dell laptop that has vista runnin on it and it picks up the wireless signal but it wont let me get on the internet such as internet explorer. the connection says connected but when i try to get on IE it says PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED... any help??

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Do you have internet service?

A provider? When you mouseover the network icon, does it say "Local and Internet" or does it say "Local only"?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
yes i do have internet. i have cox high speed. when i hook the cable modem up straight to my laptop it works fine but when i have it from my router to wireless then it doesnt connect. it finds the signal and connects but doesnt allow me to get on the net.n and i dont know where it would say LOCAL ONLY or LOCAL AND INTERNET at.. im new to vista..??? sorry

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.