Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wake Vista from Sleep with Mouse/Touchpad/KB

• Please log in to reply

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello all,

Several years ago the Geeks To Go forum helped me through a massive virus problem on my old desktop. The members here were awesome: patient, super helpful - like I said, awesome.

Now I'm back with another question (or two).

I have a Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Premium SP1. It's only a couple months old and it's also the first computer I've ever owned that I can't wake from Sleep simply by moving the mouse/touchpad, or by pressing a key on the keyboard. I've put up with it for a while, but I'm now tired of it and ready to get it fixed.

I Googled the problem and went through five pages on the MSFT support site, but I can't find the fix.

Who can help?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Have you tried the power button? It usually wakes up for me when I press the power button! :)

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
LOL! Don't wanna press the power button! I just wanna shake my mouse and have it power up. Seriously, what am I missing here?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Like I said, it usually works if you press the power button once.

Please enter power options, and see if you can find information about waking from sleep. Do you know how to do this?

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
That's what I have been doing (pressing the power button).

The problem is, I'm switching up my setup, getting a port replicator which will sit on my desk and moving my laptop to a shelf under my desk. That means the lid will stay closed most of the time. I don't want to have to reach under my desk, open the lid and press the power button every time I need to wake the computer. I want to do what I've done with every other computer I've ever owned: move the mouse and wake it up.

I've tried fiddling with the power settings, but there doesn't seem to be an option for this. I also went into the device manager and opened the mouse properties. In XP, you used to be able to go into the mouse properties and set an option to wake (or not wake) via the mouse. Not so in Vista, apparently.

Such a silly little problem and no fix that I can find.

Thanks for the advice - I appreciate your input!

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Someone on this board knows how to make this fix. Right? Please?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi seamusoldfield,

you can try this, its standard for Vista so it should work....

• Open the Control Panel.
  • Click on the Device Manager icon. NOTE: You need to be in an Administrator account.
  • Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
  • Open the device's list that you want to change. (mice and other pointing devices)
  • Right click on the device name and click on Properties.
  • Click on the Power Management tab.
  • check Allow this device to wake the computer.
  • Click on OK to apply and close properties window.

that should allow your mouse to wake the computer.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello!

Sorry for the wait. I get unresponsive/late to replies on Fridays and the weekend.

Read this, which is a Microsoft help article with a tutorial on editing the power management settings of the mouse. It is also relevant to the information you supplied: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930091

Also, download the following patch which helps resolve common USB/Sleep problems. This is a reliability Windows Update.

How did this work? Let me know of the results!

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you BHowett and thank you DragonMaster J. I have tried exactly what you've suggested and ... nothing. The problem is, when I right click on the mouse or touchpad, I get no Power Management tab. I have tabs that read General, Driver, Details and Resources - but nothing for Power Management. Now for the mouse, if I click on Details -----> Property -------> Power Data it reads PDCAP_Wake_From D0_Supported. I also get Wake_From D1 and D2. For the touchpad, there are no Wake_From_xx_Supported lines.

DragonMaster, I downloaded and installed the patch, restarted and got nothing.

Any other tips?

Why is this so difficult? Weird.

Thanks again!

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Fixed! Sort of . . .

Did I mention I was using a wireless mouse?

I had to go into the BIOS and, under Power Management, set it to allow USB devices to wake the system. I'm assuming a wired ouse would also be a USB device, but whatever.

So now my computer wakes from the mouse. It still does not wake from the touchpad, however, but that's OK.

Thanks for hanging with me and offering up all your advice. Much appreciated. Have a great weekend!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted, the BIOS was going to be my next step for you :)

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Nice! Thanks again!