Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Learning a programming language

• Please log in to reply

Makis

Makis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I wanna learn a programming language.I want most to create games and programs easily :).Tell me the best and easy language to create games and programs and a good tutorial to learn it.Thanks :]

Advertisements

coyne20

coyne20

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
As far as im aware most games are written in C++. Learning that alone would be highly fundamental. Dont just learn it but be a pro at it. Other aspects of games development may come into play such as graphics rendering using: direct x or open gl. There are hundreds of tutorials out there. You just got to look. A good C++ book to start off with is the SAM's publishing Teach yourself C++ in 21 days. Thats a good book to begin with.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts

A good C++ book to start off with is the SAM's publishing Teach yourself C++ in 21 days.

The newest edition of it is SAM's Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day, great book overall. I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf and it was the book that gave me a great introduction to C++. It also touches it some advanced topics and gives a good introduction to them. Highly recommended.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
C++ or Java would be good game languages. Game programming is difficult to learn, and you should take it slowly.
You might want to see if you like 3D modeling for games. Download Google Sketchup or Blender, and there should be many tuts online. Making a game requires much more than programmers.

Johnny Tootall

Johnny Tootall

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I would recommend learning Microsoft Visual Basic first. It's not very good for making games but it's a great first programing language.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Python a good first language

Edited by Cold Titanium, 02 June 2009 - 09:38 AM.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
As evidenced by the fact that the most powerful home computers are generally gaming computers, video games are a very difficult thing to program.

As others have said, I would recommend C++ as your first language. However, if you find it too tedious or challenging for your first, I also believe that C# is a solid language and a good starting point. Of course, the bad part about C# is that it relies on the .NET architecture, meaning your programs will only work on Windows. But if you don't mind that, it's an excellent language with more control than Java or Basic but not quite as much to worry about as C++.
I personally would stay away from Java. As someone who took a course in Java, I feel very much like I wasted my time learning a language that is inferior to PHP and Flash for web development and more or less useless for non-web development. However it is pretty much the standard for OOPLs these days.

Anyways, your starting language doesn't matter so much, as long as its Object-Oriented. Once you've learned one OOPL (Object-Oriented Programming Language), the rest come very naturally. The main thing is, this has to be something you REALLY want to do. I would venture to say that anyone with the skill to program a decent video game that people would pay for is a professional programmer. As a hobbyist you will probably be restricted to creating rather simple 2D games, for a variety of reasons. So if you really want to do this, it's imperative that you set your sights on it and study hard for years, because you can bet it will be a good while before you're ready to program your first major game.

murzark

murzark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Python is highly recommended as first programming language.
then i don't know, maybe you can learn C++.
but once you learn C++, it is easy to understand Java and C#.