Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

location BSOD error message after restart

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 and all the latest updates installed.

I normally turn off the option to automatically reboot my computer in case of a blue screen so that I can read the error message and take any needed notes.

However, there are times my computer will experience a blue screen when I am accessing it remotely. As a result, my computer won't reboot until I am physically in front of it. If I change the option so my computer will, in fact, automatically reboot in case a blue screen occurs, is there somewhere inside of Windows I can look for a blue screen error message once Windows starts back up after the blue screen occurred?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Yes, as long as the appropriate services are running.
Also, as long as the BSOD is one that will generate a crash dump file.

You can check in Event Viewer, in the Reliability Monitor, and in the Problem and Reports section of Control Panel.
You can also look for the memory dump files - either in C:\Windows\Minidump (it may be hidden), or for a file named "memory.dmp" in the C:\Windows directory.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thank you for your advice. I will look into it.