Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART Failure Predicted NEW

• Please log in to reply

dani.elyse

dani.elyse

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I know this was a new topic in August of 2008.. but mine is a little different. And I also wanted to make sure mine was seen.

I have an HP Pavilion dv9700 Entertainment Notebook PC and I restarted it and got a black screen that said
"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4: WDC WD2500BEVS-60UST0-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent

Press F1 to Continue"

Well, when I press F1, nothing happens. I've tried restarted the computer and pressing F10 or F12 to get to a System Recovery or to the Boot Menu or whatever. But nothing ever happens. I got into the BIOS one time long enough to do a hard disk check and is says to replace my hard drive.

I'm really bad with computers.. this is my third laptop in about a year and a half. I just always end up with a lost hard drive, or a broken one. Can anyone tell me how I can get a new hard drive for not a lot of money? How should I shop for one? And does it necessarily have to be an HP drive? Or can it be any type?

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer any of my many questions.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is the laptop? It may still be under warranty.

dani.elyse

dani.elyse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I got it on August 31st of last year I believe.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
It's under warranty for at least a year. Take it to a service center or the place that you bought it from. Dig out your restore disks as they'll probably be needed. Dunno about your stuff that's on it tho' - that'll require an evaluation by the folks who repair it.

dani.elyse

dani.elyse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright. Thanks, guys.