Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashed-preinst2.swm

• Please log in to reply

fjmak

fjmak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:)

i have a toshiba satillite a135 it hit the floor and would not restart. it message came up saying to reboot the system. i had to order the recovery disc. i got them and started to reboot the system. i let it go and a few minutes in to it a message popped up and it said preinst2.swm. so there was an option to restart the process, i tried that. same message popped up. the other option was to skip this process, and i tried that. then the message popped up saying the same thing, also it said the driver is not connected. not quite sure, what is going on. i need my computer back and i am fustrated it is not working!!!

help me please...

jennifer

Advertisements

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Hi There,

Are you booting direct from the recovery disc, that file you mention is an installation file and it appears that it is not being read. Can you put the disk in a working pc right click on the drive and select explore, go to this directory \zzimages\zzimages directory for the SWM files and make sure that the file is present.

Kev.

fjmak

fjmak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have my mother-in-laws computer (a dell inspiron) if i put the disc from the toshiba in the dell will it do anything to her computer? god help if it does....

my brother-in-law was trying to help me and he was trying to get it to boot from the disc and it said something about the boot manager. then he tried doing it from the hard drive and it was saying the same thing. i dont know about this part of computers. but i am good with directions...

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Are you trying to boot from the recovery disc or from the laptop hdd? I `m not sure what you are doing. Can you try and follow these instructions...

1/ make sure your Laptop can boot directly from the Recovery DVD. Obviously, most modern Laptops can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the Laptop

3/ Put the Recovery DVD into the DVD drive, switch off the laptop.

4/ Switch the Laptop on again. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window will appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

•Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
•System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
•Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
•Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
•Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts I`d try the Startup repair first..

See if that helps you.. Kev.

Edited by kevinf80, 20 May 2009 - 02:56 PM.