Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

John Petrucci

John Petrucci

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello guys :)

I've been using Comodo Firewall Pro + NOD32 for the past few years without any trouble whatsoever, but I've switched to Windows 7 x64, and Comodo doesn't work any more. Any recommendations for a light firewall for Windows 7 x64??

Edited by John Petrucci, 27 May 2009 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Dream Theater fan... :)

There are several firewalls that will work with windows 7, however none of them are in official release. Only available in beta. Most of them should be available by time of release or shortly there after.

Kaspersky
Comodo
Zonealarm
Eset

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Comodo doesn't work with Windows 7, last time I tried to use it.
If installer ran straight, it wouldn't install at all
I set the installer to Vista compatibility mode, and it installed.
I set Comodo's exe to Vista compatibility mode, but any attempt to run any Comodo tool like updater, was ending up with BSOD.
I gave up, and left Windows firewall on.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I've used both Trend micro and Kaspersky. They both worked well. I don't remember how long the trial for KAV was, but Trend has a 30 day fully functional trial.

JessicaD42

JessicaD42

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
John Petrucci,

Windows 7RC does include a firewall built into the OS as a nice added feature. However there are several firewalls that would be 7RC compatible. I would head on over to the Microsoft Springboard site and check in on the 7 forums there.

http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
Microsoft TechNet / Springboard

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I can only say, that when Windows will come up with truly two-way firewall, some time in the future, I'm pretty sure, more people will use it.
For now, since it's not two-way firewall, we're seeking for some better protection.