Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

videos don't play on vista with dialup

• Please log in to reply

jailamie

jailamie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) i want to play videos on my hp computer. i have windows vista 32 home premium. i have to have dialup for my income. how do i play videos. they start to play -----then stop------play---stop. i get it in spurts. i have foxfire, google chrome, safari, internet explorer 8 and aol 9.0vr. would winamp help. or should i use my windows media player, which by the way won't play automatically on the videos. i am playing the videos on the websites which have them. thanks all

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey jailamie,

If you can't upgrade from dial-up to something faster, videos are going to do that. On dial-up you can only bet on 52 - 56 kbps, and that's if you're lucky. To watch the videos, you'll want to pause it and let it load. That's your best bet. If downloading the video is available, you can do that - which will take some time. When it's downloaded to your computer there won't be any delay.

To my knowledge and experience, Firefox is definitely the faster browser. You can also go here for some tips to make it even faster. On dial-up I'm really not sure how much effect it will have.

Hopefully this info will give you some help. Good luck!

-Jason

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
YouTube or any major video source on a dial-up connection is really asking for trouble. You'll spend more time waiting for videos to load than you will actually watching them.
The browser you use will realistically make no difference.
The only real solution is upgrade to broadband - assuming when you mean "dial-up for income" you work either from home or whatever, it should still be fine on a broadband connection.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Depending on the program that you're using, you may be able to increase the buffer size so that the entire video is stored in the buffer before playing it. That'll reduce the lag, but it'll take longer for you to view the video.