Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

CorinnaAnn

CorinnaAnn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a new Sony Vaio and it is running Windows Vista. Windows Update is constantly coming up to restart the computer. There is one update for our HP printer that attempts to install multiple times a day but fails each time. This has been occuring for approximately a month now. Also, the computer will not shut down. When you go to start and then choose shut down it restarts instead of turning off. Any information to try to solve these problems is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It's always a good idea NOT to install any non-Windows update through Windows Updates. In those cases, MS is not always sure what it's doing.
Right click on that HP update, and click "Hide". It won't bother you anymore.
Drivers should be updated only through device's manufacturer site, and only, if needed (device malfunction).

CorinnaAnn

CorinnaAnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I right click on the update it only gives the option of "View Details" and "Copy Details."

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, click "View details" first. New windows with details will open, and then right click on update, and click "Hide".

CorinnaAnn

CorinnaAnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I do that all I get is "Copy Details"

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
When you go to Windows Update, you should see something similar to this:

Posted Image

Click on "View available updates".

You'll find yourself in a window similar to this:

Posted Image

Right click on the update, you want to hide, and click "Hide update".

CorinnaAnn

CorinnaAnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When mine comes up it says "restart your computer for important updates" and then gives the restart now option to click. No matter how many times restarted it always says the same thing.

Also, the computer will not shut down. When you go to start and then choose shut down it restarts instead of turning off.

When the computer restarts or turns back on after manually shutting it down this message appears before Windows Vista loads: One your disks needs to be checked for consistency." After running the check it says "an unspecified error occurred" and the computer continues to load Windows.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. Click Start, in Start search, type chkdsk /f /r, and then press Enter.
2. At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Chkdsk will run.