Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Images VERY Slow to open from memory!

• Please log in to reply

mawachter

mawachter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

All of the images that I have saved to my computer are extremely slow to open. The folders containing these images are also slow to open. I'm talking 30 seconds to a minute to open a folder with a single file, and up to several minutes to open a folder containing, say, 20 images. Another thing I have noticed is that if I try to right-click these images to open up different options (such as renaming them or deleting them) it takes like 20 seconds for that menu to pop up. This does not happen with any other type of files on my computer, and happens with all types of image files (.jpg, .gif, etc., everything). I've run virus scans and I've deleted anything that has showed up. I'm wondering if maybe in the past I deleted some file that was used to open the files quickly...I honestly have no clue, but in the past they all opened instantly.

All pictures on internet sites (facebook, myspace, everything) open instantly. Also, when I plug in my digital camera to look at pictures it takes several minutes to open those folders as well.

Any ideas?

P.S. I have already run defrags and restored my system to earlier dates. Neither worked.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run, type in:
cmd
Click OK.

At command prompt, type:
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll (<-----watch for "space" after "regsvr32", and "/u")
Press Enter.

Restart computer.

Edited by Broni, 26 June 2009 - 06:58 PM.

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay so this looks like it may be the problem. When I run this command a window pops up which reads:

** LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll")failed - The specified module could not be found **

I did a search on my computer and the file is located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32", as it should be I'm assuming.

So what now? :)

And thanks for taking the time to look at this Broni

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You sure, spelling, and spacing was correct in that command?

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep I did it exactly as you said, several times.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, it did say that I was missing some files. Unfortunately I'm on a Sony Viao that came with a pre-installed windows XP and there was no cd that came with it...just recovery cds, which it won't accept. SO, I guess I'll go buy an external hard drive and save all of my files to it, and then run the recovery cds and get this bad boy back to new.

*sigh*

thanks for the help

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Did you install IE 8? Apparently it is causing applications to load very slowly if you depend on the file associations to start up the app. We had a guy at work complaining that opening Excel spreadsheets took like 30 seconds when he double-clicked them but was normal if he opened Excel and did a File|Open. Turned out to be IE 8. Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove programs by Start->Run and type appwiz.cpl

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Perplexus,

No I don't have IE 8. I have IE 7 though. I just uninstalled that and restarted the computer and it didn't help.

I think I'm just screwed. Let me just make sure of something though...
The recovery cds that came with my sony vaio should have windows XP on them somewhere and should reinstall it right?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, but you have to back up your data, first.
With restoration CD, all will be lost.

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yea that's what I'm gonna do. Gonna go get an external hard drive tomorrow and put everything on it (could use one anyway).

Aight, well thank you both for helping out. Really appreciate it.

Take care

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Try to borrow an XP cd of the same flavor (home or Pro) and then run the sfc /scannow.
It needs to be an install CD and not the recovery CD. And it is perfectly legal do borrow a CD because you are not installing. It will not ask for the key either.

mawachter

mawachter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, awesome. That would be most convenient. I figured it would have asked for a key.

Thanks 123 Runner!