Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after BIOS

• Please log in to reply

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Pip
  • 8 posts
2 days ago i had a graphical error that froze my computer, specificly i had alot of pixilated green and red and blue blotches everywhere. my computer had froze so I restarted it. when i did this, i had bad graphics loading up into windows. It would get as far as loading windows (without the windows logo) and tehn go blank with bad graphics (in this case its liek white lines made of : and ; in colums)

Things i had done to fix the problem were (all with messed up colors for backgrounds)
system tests on hard drive, memory ect ect, none yeilded any results.
I tried system restor and that did not work either.

After testing my harddrive in antoher coputer and that computer's in mine, neither worked!

I then decided it was a driver/video card issue so i hit the "restore to factory specs" option and wiped out my harddrive to only have what it had on it on day one. the colors were still bad and i did not even get to windows loading (wtihout the logo). it was just green line columns.

I unhooked my harddrive, put it in a differnt slot or whatever (apparntly ihave 4) and the color was fixed after it told me that things were moved around. However, i still make no progress on loading windowns, instead of just green columbs i get a black screen.

Basicly the commands i can do are F2 and F12 while the Dell logo and BIOS is running. I tried F8 cuz i thought that was safe mode but that only makes my computer beep at me.

Any help will be great thanks

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
GarrettKH,

Based on the description you've provided I would say the cause could be failing hardware.

If the system is a desktop computer then changing the faulty device can be a simple task. Otherwise, it may need to be repaired by Dell. With any luck the system is still under warranty.

Let's run some diagnostics to see if we can isolate the faulty device.

-=Restore BIOS Defaults=-

1) Power up the PC, or if the PC is already turned on, shut it down and then power up the system.

2) Press <F2> during the first few seconds, while the initial Dell logo is on the screen, to enter the BIOS.

3) Press the <right arrow> to highlight Exit.

4) Press the <down arrow> to highlight Load Factory Defaults, then press <Enter>.

5) Press <Enter> to confirm.

6) Press the <left arrow> to highlight Main.

7) Use the arrow keys to correct the date and clock settings as needed.

8) Press the <right arrow> to highlight Exit.

9) Make sure Save Changes and Exit is highlighted then press <Enter>.

10) Press <Enter> to confirm.

-=To start the computer to the diagnostics=-

1) Restart the computer.

2) At the Dell logo screen, press <F12>.

3) Select Diagnostics and press <Enter>.

4. The system will prompt for one of four choices:

* Express Test will run a quick test of devices in the system. This typically can take 10-20 minutes.
* Extended Test performs a thorough check of devices in the system. This typically can take an hour or more.
* Custom Test used to test a specific device or customize the tests to be run.Exit to MS-DOS will exit the diagnostics to a command prompt.
* Symptom Tree. This option lists the most common symptoms and allows you to select tests based on those symptoms.

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thats somethign i ahd forgotten to mention actually, i ran the extended test last night and the o nly errors it seemed to pick up was at the very end when it was suppose to be playing music in a surround mode (i had to say my name for some fot he tests as well but i dont have a microphone to be doing that) the first sound tests that were at the beginig of the test worked though. i have speakers that are on the monitor.

besides that the test came back clean

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Can you provide hte exact model of the computer?

Does the machine have a dedicated graphics card? model?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are we using onboard graphics or a video card?

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have a dell XPS 710 with a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS graphcis card

Edited by GarrettKH, 01 July 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
That particular system is a dust magnet. Although not entirely necessary, but highly recommended, go to the local office supply store and grab a can of compressed air. Disconnect the system from the wall and all other devices. Open the case and clean out any dust.

After the machine is dust free, remove the graphics card and re-seat it into the PCI-E slot.

Disconnect the DVI cable from the back of the monitor and reconnect.

Edit: If system gives the same results, try placing the graphics card into another PCI slot(if available).

Edited by Ectech, 01 July 2009 - 05:35 PM.

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
totally agree on the dust... is ther eany technique on getting that [bleep] screw out? i feel sooo stupid i cant get teh screws out!

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Look around the rear of the case. Some systems include extra screws to help secure any components. Most of the time if you look directly behind were the metal slots are located you'll notice an extra flap of metal with a screw in the middle.

Other systems use plastic clips to hold the components in place. Usually the plasic clip is colored green.

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, i figured out how to get it out,

i reseated it in the same slot and result in the same results

i then put it into the other slot (witht eh same P4 plug) and got the same results as i have always been getting.

i am guessing it is another PCI because the slot looks the same and it as the same annoying clip on the motherboard to help keep it in place (at least i assume thats what its doing cuz it made it really hard to get it out)

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
bummer, my thoughts at this point make me think either the graphics card is fried or its not receiving enough power from the PSU.

By any chance have any new components been added recently?

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have not added anything new since march, 2 gigs of ram (even though it will only read 3, it was a goof up on my part)

i was thinking it was the graphics as well... i do have an old old computer downstairs that i could take a video card out of, but would that even work because it wont have enough power for vista to work?

not sure what PSU is but i have a 750 power supply

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
The XPS systems are very nice computers, i would not even consider swapping cards with an older machine. Not to mention its most likely an older outdated spec. (PCI)

Graphics cards are fairly cheap thses days. An Nvidia 8600 can be replaced for around $60.00. defiantly well worth the money.

GarrettKH

GarrettKH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
im personally a buyer of comptuer, i buy one when my current one doesnt run well for waht i need it to do (the game i want to be playing) im all for getting a new video card but id want to get a nvidia Geforce 9800 GT or teh 9600 (i really dont know how much of a differnce the 13billion filler rate is).

I should be able to use one of those in my computer right? soem system specs are

intell core2 duo 2.4GHz 4MB cache
4 GB DDR2 SDram at 667 MHz (only 3 is read cuz i have 32 bit vista)
320 GB ATA Hard drive 7200RPM
750-watt power suppy
motherboard 7-slot BTX
copper heat sink
two 120mm x 38mm front fans

i wont overheat or have compatibilioty issues will i?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Either card would be sufficient. Keep in mind, if you do a lot of gaming, and have the resources, go with the better card. Not only will it provide better performance but also better cooling. Which might help in the future.