Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with .rar on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Bodac

Bodac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I just did something stupid and need some help fixing it.
I'm using Windows 7 (I assume my problem can be fixed the same way on Vista though). I was checking things out when I noticed the Windows Explorer could open .zip so I thought that maybe it could open .rar too. Well I was wrong and now Windows Exlporer is set as default program for it.
I tried a few things to get .rar back to using WinRAR as default. I tried 'Open With' -> 'Choose Default Program...' but the checkbox for setting it as default isn't clickable (although, when changing anything else's default program it is clickable).
I also went to 'Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations' and looked for it there but .rar isn't listed anymore.

Hoping that someone out there can give me a hand...
Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you downloaded WinRAR from WinRAR's website and installed it?
No version of Windows can open RAR files by default, you need WinRAR or an alternate program to do it with.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Perhaps try and uninstall WinRAR and then reinstall it - it may pick up and re-associate.