Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Windows 7...Getting a Vista error?

• Please log in to reply

Valdsator

Valdsator

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone.

Currently I'm using Windows 7 and testing out which games/programs work and which do not. Though, I seem to have an issue with a couple of games (Which are made by Blizzard, like Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2) that only Vista users have been receiving (At least, that's what I think).

The problem is, when I launch the installation process, I get an error saying, "No Program Start Menu Found."

I've found a fix on Google easily, which is:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Go to Start > Run > type regedit
2) Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders"

if there is no string in there called "Programs" , create 1 - right click - new - String value , and then enter the line below into the value box :

C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is, the string "Programs" already exists in that location, so doing anything there wouldn't really help.

Anyone know another fix that I could try? I really wanna play these games. :D

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried using Compatibility Mode to install them? Right click on the installer and choose the Troubleshoot Compatibility Option.

Yes you will receive a Vista type error. Win7 is based off of a lot of Vista code. Those games were made for XP. So using Compatibility Mode to get them to run in XP Compatibility Mode will be your best bet to get them working.

Can also right click select Properties. There click on the Compatibility Tab and then check the box for Compatibility Mode. Select XP SP2 as the OS of choice. Check the box for Run as Admin and then click Okay and run it as you normally would.

Valdsator

Valdsator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes actually, I did try to run it in Compatability Mode. Probably should of said that in my original post.

And yes, I'm using administrative rights when launching these installers.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
I will try and install them later and see if i can figure it out.

Valdsator

Valdsator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you. :)

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
I have installed an run Warcraft III with no issues at all. I didnt even need to use compatibility mode.

Posted Image

There is my setup screen when it was just about done. I caught this right before my screen wen to game.

Posted Image

I dont know why you are having issues but i can operate Warcraft III just fine. I even updated it using Battle.net as well. Was this a upgrade or a fresh install?

Valdsator

Valdsator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fresh install. I've never had any Blizzard games except for World of Warcraft on Windows 7.

This is most likely not a disc problem either, because demos from their site are also having the same issue.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Interesting. At this point i really cant provide a answer. As it should work. As seen by my results. You have tried everything that can be done within Win7 to get it working. Aside from going all out and formatting and reinstalling.

Valdsator

Valdsator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, well thank you for your help. :)