Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU constantly at 100%, please help!

• Please log in to reply

manu11

manu11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
system info:

intel celeron 440 At 1.86ghz

4 gigs of ram. 32 bits windows vista business.

Hello, my vista is dying. Im desperate.

Process explorer is all I look at while im in front of the computer. The cpu is constantly at 100%( just using opera, avg, aimp player and msn messenger), I have done spyware scans, virus scans ( im currently using AVG but i was using avast before, free versions). It´s true that I have only 4 gigs free on each partition ( 2 hard drive partitions of around 30 gigs each). Im pennyless and unable to buy an external HD, but anyhow before it was the same and the cpu was working fine.

I have defragmented, scanned for drive errors, tried restoring system, nothing helps!.

I don´t know what else to do, I would format but have too many important data and untill I can buy an external drive (not soon) I can´t.
Can you help me out because it´s really so frustrating to have the computer constantly at 100% and lagging.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

haziqdaM5fanatic

haziqdaM5fanatic

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Vista running in a single core Celeron is quite tricky...

Well first, try to look at the fan if there are any dust or so....really overheat and lagging your system...

Try this first and let me know on any improvements...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

manu11

manu11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK here´s the process explorer file. I actually thought about the computer being overheated because it has been really hot in here lately and i feel it gets quite warm. But I have no idea how to open this thing up.

Im thinking about getting an external drive and installing ubuntu, but do you guys by any chance know if i installed ubuntu on an external drive if it would work and if I could still access my data on the laptop drives?. Well this is clearly off topic, just in case you know but no need to answer, I gotta go to a linux forum for that.

Laters.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Your screenshot shows CPU usage at barely 25%, not 100% as you said.

manu11

manu11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes well I had just turned it on and sometimes at the beggining it works fine, then you open a few programs and it starts lagging, you want me to wait untill it´s totally clogged to do the process explorer capture again?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, that's the point.

manu11

manu11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Guys after 2 weeks of my laptop working like crap it magically fixed itself after I removed AVG and re installed Avast. I don´t know why because the problem started when I had avast installed, I actually removed it while trying to fix the actual problem.

Unfortunately I dont know how I did it, otherwise I´d share it to help others, I just know I went nuts trying to get it fixed and something I did worked.

Im thinking about using ubuntu very soon anyways, screw windows.

Thanks for your help!!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)