Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Monitors

• Please log in to reply

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Looking to replace my CRT monitor that's about five or so years old. It's really old and the screen is just pissing me off now... the black on the sides keep coming into the screen and shrinking it. It only goes up to 1024 x 768 and when I try to make it larger it makes your eyes hurt. The screen keeps getting bigger and then smaller when you're using it randomly and that also hurts my eyes. I'm wonder what company sells the best monitors, what size monitors should I buy (heard I should look around 20 inchers)?And if you have any other tips or suggestions. Or if you love your monitor now, tell me about it.

There are some deals on this forum I go to. Many of them are Samsungs. I have a Samsung HDTV 40" in my room so I don't know if it will look pretty ghey if I have a monitor and a TV that look exactly alike. There is something like a 22" Dell monitor that's around $87 after mail-in rebate that I'm thinking of getting but not sure if Dell makes any good computer parts.

I don't do a lot of gaming. I just browse the internet and watch TV series on my computer. Occasionally I'll play a game, but it's not like I have the best video card in the world (I have a stock vid-card from HP since my computer is pre-made but that's another topic). So yeah...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like just about anything will be better than your current monitor. Samsung are excellent, some of my favourite monitor models are from Samsung. Dell also make nice monitors. Another favourite of mine is ASUS, very nice monitors for the price. Currently I own a BenQ, and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

The 22" widescreen is very popular right now and can be picked up pretty cheap. Shop around and find the best deal you can.

Cheers

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I'm leaning on this one.

http://reviews.cnet....l?tag=mncol;lst

Any thoughts?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It looks pretty nice to me.

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I settled with going to Staples because someone told me that some sites would not accept returns even if there was a dead pixel if you ordered it from them. I was worried about that so I figured I should just go to a store that sells monitors and a store that I know has a good return policy. I settled with a 21.5" wide LCD monitor. Samsung 2233SW. I feel bad though since I was kinda questioning whether or not I should buy it there or online but I was really worried about the return policies so I panicked and bought it on the spot for $220. I looked it up online and it was only $160. Am I stupid? If it was stupid, I'm just going to return it to the store and risk the dead pixel thing online.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well you've bought it now, so is the store going to accept returns just because you found it cheaper elsewhere? You'll have to talk to the customer support team and see what they say.

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay nevermind. I'm rest assured. I looked online and Amazon was selling it for around $200 with shipping and handling. And they have a 10 dead pixel warranty, if only 10 pixels are dead then you can return it. Anything less than that you can't. I'm more rest assured with this extra $20 that I forked over for the better return policy.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
And of course, how does it look? I bet it's a lot nicer for you. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Don't feel bad about buying it in a store instead of online. I purchased my monitor in a store because I didn't want to wait for one to be shipped, and through some heavy research, stores like Best Buy actually competed very well with prices of monitors compared to online stores. I think I paid an extra $5-$10 because of the store purchase. I was willing to live with that.

I went with a cheap Best Buy brand, Hannspree 23" Monitor, $209. However, it was on sale when I bought mine. I paid $185, about $200 after taxes.