Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tripple boot system

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
so I have a system with 2 new vista installs that work perfectly fine. I have it setup to allow you to choose between 64 and 32 bit vista on boot up using the Vista BCD. I have an old XP install that I need to keep around for purposes of compatability and I CANNOT do a OS reinstall on it because I have beta software that is not in circulation that I need to keep and is not easily moved. how do I go about adding this XP install in the BCD. I have downloaded EasyBCD and added it that way but when I select it on boot the machine restarts with no BSoD. from what I can tell it's restarting about the time that it reads the NTLDR or boot.ini file. do I have this setup wrong? do I need to delete the old boot.ini/ntldr files?

The old XP install also will not boot on the system if I boot to the drive alone. it stops as if there is no boot.ini file. I have checked and there is one.

The system is an i7 system with a TB drive for each vista install and a smaller 160 GB sata for the old XP install. the XP install used to be on a IDE drive but I ghosted it over. and I know I ghosted it with the MBR.

Thanks in advance

PS there is an alternative option for me. sort of if someone can help out with it. I can Virtual machine the drive (which works perfectly) but with Virtual box it does not allow 3d hardware acceleration (which I need).

Edited by pr0n, 05 August 2009 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements