Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comcast adopts DNS hijacking, cashes in on bad URLs

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Unbelievable!!

http://www.techspot....n-bad-urls.html

In a bid to squeeze out more cash through their existing service, one of the largest ISPs around has added themselves to the ranks of companies participating in controversial DNS-redirecting programs. Comcast has officially begun redirecting invalid DNS requests to their own “search portals,” which are advertising pages intended to capture anyone who makes a typo or visits an invalid address into a web browser.

The technique is slowly being adopted by other ISPs around the world, and has been rife with controversy since the beginning. Essentially, anytime a user tries to visit an invalid web page, they are redirected to an advertising splash page rather than being told that the page is unavailable. As most other ISPs are doing, Comcast is offering an opt-out system – though there have been complaints that the process is not particularly friendly. Other ISPs around the world that have begun implementing this include Bell Canada, Verizon, and EarthLink.

Several years ago, Verisign, a major domain registrar, attempted to implement this. Their attempt received massive public outcry, and ultimately even ICANN stepped in and asked them to stop. Comcast has even gone a step beyond their cohorts, pushing for a new IETF standard that would make such DNS hijacking more legitimate.

For those who want to opt out without going to something like OpenDNS..

https://dns-opt-out.comcast.net/

Once verified through e-mail get this response:

Confirmed: Domain Helper Service Opt-out

Your opt-out request has been confirmed. We will complete processing of this request within 2 business days.

Once we complete this work, we will send you an email to advise you that you have been successfully opted-out.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have comcast, and I don't remember mine ever doing that. I will check it out when I get home from work tonight :)

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
Yeah, I wasn't aware either, but I tried to connect to some fake web site, and surely enough Comcast **** came up.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
sure enough... that just doesn't seem right, but you know what they say. Its all about the mighty dollar :)

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
I know what you're saying, but I totally don't understand what does take TWO days to get me out of that mess.
Like they have to go out with a screwdriver, and manually unscrew 57 screws to fix it...total BS!

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
I'm free Posted Image

We have completed the work to opt you out of the Comcast Domain Helper service.
This change will take effect automatically when your cable modem renews its DHCP lease (generally within 5 days or less). However, you can easily make this take effect immediately via one of the following two methods:

1. If your computer is directly connected to your cable modem, you will need to reboot your computer.
2. If you have a router directly connected to your cable modem, you will need to (a) reboot your router and then (b) reboot your computer.

Thank you,
Comcast

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts
I was wondering why I would get redirected , and know I know :)

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
Malware Staff guy infected.....hehehehehehe......naaaaah...

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

ha ha when I started a couple years ago it was so I could fix my own infections. The funny thing is I haven't been infected since (unless I wanted to be), once you get the education piece done, your surfing habits, and everything you do on a PC becomes safer. :)

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
No question about it :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i may be the only one that thinks this but.....i don't see a problem with it...they do own the DNS servers they're using...so....as long as they keep those DNS servers from getting hijacked all should be well (though this is something they should be doing even without the redirection)....also assuming that it's made very clear on the redirect page that you've made a typing mistake or gone to a dead URL...AND the redirect page makes a valid attempt to get you to the place you thought you were going (openDNS does this by the way...if i type in www.gooooooogle.com the first link on the openDNS specific failure page will be fore google.com)...then i don't see a problem with it....

Broni

Broni

• Topic Starter
  • 12,300 posts
They may own DNS server, but they don't own my computer, and my Firefox, yet.
I consider ANY redirection as hijacking, thus invading my privacy.
It's pretty straightforward to me.

SpySentinel

SpySentinel

R.I.P.

• Retired Staff
  • 5,152 posts

never, unless intentional :)

Tiniman

Tiniman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Didn't notice this, but typed random letters.com and it did take me to the comcast page... interesting