Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot Win7 and XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have my original XP Pro on one HD.
Installed Win7 on a second HD without the XP drive still installed.
Now the problem is the only way I can chose between the two is to go into the bios and switch which drive I want to boot from.
Is there any way to be able to chose this from the boot menu to make this easier?
I have been trying to modify the boot.ini file but cannot get it to work.

Old Boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

New boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 7" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

I finally got ti to try and boot but it still is going to the main drive with XP and not to the second drive for Win7

Thanks everyone for the assist.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Vista and Windows 7 use the BCD rather than the boot.ini.......Win7 won't even look for the boot.ini file during boot.

You should be able to use a third party editor like BCDEditor to add the XP install to the BCD file in Win7 (if it will run in Win7...I haven't tried this one). Then have it boot to the Win7 drive by default and you should be prompted for which OS to start. You'll want to do this from Win7.

I have used VistaBootPro for this, but it's no longer a free app.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Tried it but it's a no go.
Doesn't see the XP boot.ini to add it.