Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why is my recovery disk not compatible with my laptop

• Please log in to reply

ivans1990

ivans1990

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello

ok so im trying to help a friend fix her laptop when ever she started it it would go to a blue screen and say insert recovery disc or somthing like that. the make of the laptop is an emachines D620 with an AMd athlon 64 processor how ever the laptop did not come with a windows instalation disc so i done some reserch and found this is quite common in most new machines. upon doin my reserch i found that you could download a recovery disc from the internet and burn an ISO image of it onto a disc the website i downloaded it from was http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/.

i downloaded the 64 bit version once i created the disc i put it in my friends pc and tryed to repair her pc however when i selected the operating system i wanted to repair it siad the disc was not compatible with the pc i was using.

can anyone help me resolve this issue please
any help is much appreciated
thanks in advance

ivan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Branded machines that do not come with Windows CDs or anything like that usually come with recovery partitions. These you invoke by pressing typically F10, F11, F12, ALT+F2 or whatever. Vista you can usually get to them by pressing F8, Repair Your Computer and the "<brand name> Recovery" option at the bottom of the menu when it arrives. You shouldn't have to download anything unless the machine's had a replacement hard drive not from the manufacturer.

ivans1990

ivans1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok heres what i tryed f2 takes me to the bios menu and f10 takes me to boot menu however if i press f8 it takes me to the advanced boot options menu. i know about the recovery partion but i thourt you have to make the disc when you get your pc/laptop is there a way of geting to the recovery partion from the bios?

please help

thanks in advance