Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Working in "IT"

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'd also say that proper use of English is important. TheWhiteRose, if you seriously intend to someday get a job in a bigger company in IT, you seriously need a spellchecker and you need to start improving the quality of your posts. Having worked for large companies in IT, I know how critical communication skills are. I've had to create written reports, give presentations, and create budget requests, and they all would have been ignored if my English and spelling were anything like yours. I'm not saying this to be mean, but to give constructive criticism. All your communication with us is in written form, and you don't present yourself well at all. All the certifications in the world won't help you if you can't present yourself well. If you use Firefox, take advantage of the spellchecker option. Reread your posts, and write in complete sentences. Drop the meaningless emoticons at the end of your posts (XD, :), etc.). The more you work at presenting yourself well, the easier it will become.

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I'd wouldn't want to get a job in I.T. though, far too in love with Physics and Maths to do that.

I just like the idea of having a weekend job that would allow me to learn more about computers, which I also find fascinating.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

I'd also say that proper use of English is important. TheWhiteRose, if you seriously intend to someday get a job in a bigger company in IT, you seriously need a spellchecker and you need to start improving the quality of your posts. Having worked for large companies in IT, I know how critical communication skills are. I've had to create written reports, give presentations, and create budget requests, and they all would have been ignored if my English and spelling were anything like yours. I'm not saying this to be mean, but to give constructive criticism. All your communication with us is in written form, and you don't present yourself well at all. All the certifications in the world won't help you if you can't present yourself well. If you use Firefox, take advantage of the spellchecker option. Reread your posts, and write in complete sentences. Drop the meaningless emoticons at the end of your posts (XD, :), etc.). The more you work at presenting yourself well, the easier it will become.

If you say I will use, Word, Excel, Access or Power point.
I'm going to beat you with a pool noodle.

D:

I HATE THAT BOOK.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I did not suggest a book or any Microsoft programs - I merely suggested you might want to put a little effort into your posts so they're coherent and understandable. You asked for advice and I'm giving it. All the certifications in the world will mean nothing if you can't convince someone that you are worth hiring.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

I did not suggest a book or any Microsoft programs - I merely suggested you might want to put a little effort into your posts so they're coherent and understandable. You asked for advice and I'm giving it. All the certifications in the world will mean nothing if you can't convince someone that you are worth hiring.

I know I was joking about the Microsoft office book.

X3

greencomputer

greencomputer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you want to make career in networking field, want to learn basic concepts of networking, then suggest you go for A+ certification. It will open opportunities like junior network engineer, computer engineer, help desk technician and etc. In general, anything sort of certification that you can add to your resume can only help you. But really, it depends on your goals. If you are looking to bypass college and just work for IT somewhere, then yes, it will help your resume. Choose the right one as IT certifications also a tool for companies and technical staffing services to help screen the hundreds of resumes they get.

Edited by greencomputer, 18 September 2009 - 06:51 AM.

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
I find that to get the most out of IT, you need to specialize. You can't just be the Jack of Trades, it's quite hard to find a job that covers all bases. I did that exact thing, didn't have much luck with finding much jobs and if I wanted to continue in IT then I'd need to take training to narrow down my skills. But as dsenette was saying, it is all about experience, I can get a job just based on my work experience as a computer technician and I don't have any qualifications saying I can do my job. We had a guy work for us who spent 3 years at College getting all his computer qualifications, but when it came to hands on fixing he really couldn't even work a screwdriver or have the most basic problem solving skills. We ended up letting him go after 2 weeks.

Certs are worth looking into however, I'd say probably do A+ and Network+ as they are the groundwork that most entry students get and then see what you enjoy. You may enjoy working with servers/workgroups then you could look into Microsoft qualifications, MCSE/MCSA or even both. If you enjoy networking then possibly look into Cisco qualifications. If security appeals to you more, then there are plenty of security qualifications, Security+ and so on.

For example, I was planning to head into security so I was sitting my Cisco Certified Network Associate and Certified Ethical Hacker as a starting point, plus learning C++ on the side. They are all rather informative and challenging, but at the end of the day it's what you enjoy doing! Goodluck :)

Edited by snowchick7669, 18 September 2009 - 07:47 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
TheWhiteRose000,

Any time anyone tells me they want to go into a field I ask them one question.

Why do you want to go into this field?
I ask this question before giving any advice. Reason being if you don't enjoy it, and don't have some hobby experience in it. It is probably something you need to look further into before you train yourself.

Then I ask what do you plan to do in this field?

If you can't answer those two questions I would worry more about if the path you are about to take is the right one for you.