Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac 10.4.11 desktop icons deleted

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,
This has been edited so please read thru all of it.

I've been in a hurry and not watched what was going on. I believe I was using Safari. I'm not aware that I changed any preferences or anything but suddenly I noticed I would get a download window showing something with Desktop - I think when I opened something within a site maybe? Anyway, I didn't know what was going on so I ignored the download window. Later I noticed a bunch of empty icons (meaning they weren't a folder or other recogized icon, just kind of hollow looking) sitting in a folder where they'd never been before - a folder I created over a year ago for my works in progress. I grabbed all those desktop named icons (I assumed they were things downloaded to the desktop), put them in trash and deleted it. When I later closed all the open folders I discovered my desktop to be clean - no icons save the hard drive. All the shortcuts, and other items saved to the desktop were gone. 

Is there anyway I can recover those items?

I want to recover Desktop folders that were moved to Trash, then the Trash was emptied. The computer has not been restarted.

Did I read that I can select Restart then press the Off button before it restarts and my Desktop folders and icons that were removed will reappear?

Much thanks,

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 15 September 2009 - 08:35 PM.

Advertisements