Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting up-Vista-HP Slimline

• Please log in to reply

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
This is my mom's computer, it is a HP S3323w Slimline, OS Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct. I don't know anything else about this computer at this time. Last night while on dialup, facebook, the computer locked up on her, she did a hard shut down and when she tried to boot it up, it gave her the option to run Start Up Repair or start up manually. When you try to start up manually then it reboots itself and goes back to same screen as before regarding SUP or Manual. I tried running the Start Up Repair and this is what I am getting....

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 524296
Problem Signature 05: NoRootCause
Problem Signature 06: NoRootCause
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 2
Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
Problem Signature 10: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID: 1033

I was able to get into the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool but after running the 2 tests, it reboots and goes back to screen with Startup Repair or Manual Startup again.

I would appreciate any help with this problem. I really don't want to restore whole computer, but if I have to then I have to.

Thanks,
Texasmommy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Texasmommy...

Tap the F8 key as the machine starts and see if it will offer you the Advanced Boot Options. If it does, try "Last known good configuration (Advanced)". If it won't start using that option, try Safe Mode.

Will the machine start using either of these options?

wannabe1

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I was finally able to get to the Advanced Boot Options and so far so good. I am going to clean it out, it probably has a lot of junk in it so I'll do the malware cleanup on it.

I'll let you know if I need anymore help. I appreciate what you suggested.

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Tried to do the TFC and it couldn't do something, said something in C drive was corrupt and suggested to do the CHKDSK. I am doing that now.

Texasmommy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that doesn't straighten things out, let me know and we'll do chkdsk a different way...a little more thorough check.

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok, thanks.

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Check disk ran last night, seems to have taken forever, but it finished. I ran everything to clean out malware, found the trojan.vundo on the computer about to do that clean up, ran disk cleanup, disk defrag and virus scan (AVG)last night. AVG didn't find the trojan.vundo, so I may have to switch virus scans. I shut down the computer in a normal way and turned it on later, when I turned it on the computer went into check disk again, my question is will is keep doing that each time we start the computer or is there a way to stop it other than pressing a key before it begins?

Thanks,

Texasmommy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like something has set a dirty bit somewhere in the file system.

Click the Start orb, click "All Programs". click "Accessories", right click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator". A command session window will open.

At the command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c: and press "Enter". Does the query show the drive as "Dirty"?

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
It says C: is not dirty.

Texasmommy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm. Is there more than one hard drive installed in the machine?

Let's run a full file system check.

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r)

You will be told the drive is busy and asked if you want to run this check on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter".

Reboot.

This will be a long check...even longer than the last one, but will run a very thorough check of the file system and will attempt to recover any corrupt clusters it finds. Doing this should stop the check from running on every boot.

When chkdsk completes it should finish loading the Windows interface. Once Windows finishes loading, reboot again and see if the disk check tries to run.

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am not sure if it has more than 1 hard drive. I am running chkdsk now, will let you know what happens after I do everything.

Thanks,

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok, the ckdsk is done, also got an update to Vista, installed that. When the computer rebooted, everything seems to be back to normal. No ckdsk after reboot!!

Should I change virus scans or should I stay with AVG? I also downloaded Firefox on it so hopefully it will keep it safer to browse.

Thanks,

Texasmommy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!! :)

Now I'd strongly suggest that you pay a visit to our Malware Removal Forum and follow the steps listed there. If you suspect that the machine is still infected...or if you just want to make sure it's clean...post the requested logs to a new topic in the Malware Forum as disrected in the guide and one of our experts will help you.

While AVG is not as good as it once was, it's still adequate protection. There is a Guide to Free Programs that can help you decide what protection you want to have on the machine. The malware experts can help you with that, as well, if you have questions.

Good luck. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Texasmommy

Texasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you so very much, I am going to do the Malware Removal, especially since we've had problems with this computer. I am trying to educate my mom on how to do this but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess that's why she has me, lol. Thanks again.

Texasmommy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure. :)