Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer problem

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Can someone help with a problem i have?I have a desktop with XP pro.I also have a laptop with Vista Home Premium and connect to the internet wirelessly using a router.I have been able to print from my desktop ok.I could also print from the laptop provided the desktop was switched on.That is till recently when nothing would print from the laptop but the desktop remained ok. Nothing has changed on the set up no new progs apart from the usual downloads from MSoft.I am able to access the internet so my wireless connection is ok.I have looked at network and sharing on the laptop (vista)and printer sharing was set to off.I have tried to set this to on thinking this must be the problem. But even after setting it to on and clicking continue it will not turn on.I am the only user on the set up so i don`t know what has happened.Can anyone help?

Edited by mechanic, 22 October 2009 - 08:35 AM.

Advertisements

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Any ideas anyone?

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Many questions on this...

1 - Is the printer physically hooked up to one of the machines or is it a wireless or networked printer?
2 - Can you browse from one computer to the other?
3 - What kind of printer is it?
4 - Are both machines on the same Workgroup?

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply geekhelp4u.
1. The printer is connected to my desktop its not wireless.
2. Not sure what you mean( a bit of a novice on computers).
3. The printer is an Epson Stylus c64.
4. The desktop with Xp is MSHOME and the laptop with Vista is called WORKGROUP

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
to begin, change the name of the XP workgroup from MSHOME to WORKGROUP and then reboot

On the Vista machine turn on file and printer sharing and remove the password security then reboot

on xp click on START > RUN and type in cmd and then press enter
now type in ipconfig/all
note the systems ip address that is probably something on the lines of 192.168.1.number

on vista machine click on START and in the search open dialog box type in \\192.168.1.number

let me know if you see anything

Edited by geekhelp4u, 25 October 2009 - 10:15 AM.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
There is only network discovery and file sharing on in Network and Sharing centre it will not let me turn on printer sharing.Both machines are now set to Workgroup and i have the ip address also.