Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer has completely stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I'm sort of panicking right now because my Windows Explorer (My Computer, access to hard drives, pictures, videos, recycle bin, programs) has completely stopped working. When I open it up, all I get is a blank window. Before when this happened, it would start working again after a reboot so I just went with it, but now I've rebooted twice and I can't access My Computer nor put things into the Recycle Bin. It seems to always act up when there are Quicktime files involved. I took a lot of videos today and I really want to upload them to facebook! Now my computer is completely freaking out and I don't know what to do! Help please! :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I can't access the run box. The Start button is affected too so I can't search for anything.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you are unable to get to a command prompt then you will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...guide is here...
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I don't have the DVD either. :) Vista came installed on my laptop and I'm studying as an exchange student in Japan right now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot into safe mode and do anything from there like get to the start menu..
if not then you need to buy a restore dvd from your computer manufactures support website

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Are you sure I have to jump immediately to that? Is there anything I can do in safe mode to fix this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I edited my previous post to include the safe mode option

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Okay. I will try that and see if I can delete the files that seem to be causing the problem. I read some other threads about people who were having similar problems and it seems like they were missing drivers? What do you think?

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Okay this is really REALLY bad. I tried to delete the files in safe mode. No go, Windows Explorer won't work in safe mode either. I rebooted, pressed F8, and decided to try some of the other options. I would also like to confess that was a completely idiotic move. I tried the "restore to last successful boot configuration." Now all of my desktop icons are blank, the Start button doesn't even open anymore, my browser window doesn't show up on the bottom bar, and I -still- can't access Windows Explorer. All because I wanted to get pictures and videos off of my camera's SDcard! This is awful...I'm about to cry. :)

One of the options on the F8 menu did let me open a Run box. should I try the cmd sfc / scannow thing there?

I also found this- http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/ could I use this instead of buying the recovery cd?

Sorry for rambling, I'm going crazy right now.

Edited by Lovltn848, 25 October 2009 - 09:46 AM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I've learned how to access my files through Internet Explorer. Now I'm able to access Run and cmd, but when I type in sfc /scannow it says "you must be running an administrator console session in order to use this function" or something like that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get the Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download...burn it as a image (.iso)...the instructions are at the download link...after you have burned the image..put it in the dvd drive and boot your computer
set your computer to boot from the dvd...then try the repair option

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Okay before I do this a couple of questions:
Do I specifically have to buy a DVD disc to burn it onto?

Can you post instructions on how to boot from the disc for me please?

Before I go out and buy the blank disc, I'm going to unistall quicktime and see if that does anything. I'll post again when something changes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
some machines have the boot options on the screen for about 5 seconds when you first power up the system ..like press F2 for boot options...select the dvd drive as the boot device...for others you will have to press the delete key to get into the bios to set the boot order to the dvd drive first...

you need a new blank disc to burn the image to