Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Trojan?,

• Please log in to reply

Confounded

Confounded

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, need some advice please.

I'm running Vista SP2 32bit.

It all happened very fast but I think(?) I encountered a trojan, as I got a very brief warning (from defender?) and then my laptop restarted.

I immediately unplugged the router as a security measure and have not been back on the internet since.

I have found that AVG does not have any active components nor can I reinstall it. Also cleanup, hijack this and mbam will not load.

I downloaded windows malicious software removal from another laptop to a cd-rom and tried to run it but get the message "Extraction failed mrtstub.exe is not a valid Win32 application". The file name is "windows-kb890830-v3.0"

When pressing F8 at startup I can get to the startup options screen but when I select "safe mode" it seems to just load normally i.e. not in safe mode.

Any advice on what to do next and am I right not to go onto the internet or could that potentially solve the problem?

Many thanks in anticipation

Advertisements