Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\windows\system32\drivers\str.sys making windows

• Please log in to reply

scvfd_7241

scvfd_7241

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had a problem with my computer to begin with there was a virus that was blocking some exe files from running, such as for internet explorer, firefox, and all antivirus and malaware programs. Programs such as word, solitare, and notepad were fine. I read on this websit and a couple other of people having similar problems to mine therefore I tried everything. Finnally I tried Combofix, and got it to work by changing the file to winlogon.exe and running it off a flash drive. After that I ran Malwarebytes off the flash drive. Both programs found infected files and deleted many files. At this point my computer seemed to be working great. The interent was working and all, so I then Proceeded to download Avast Antivirus program, however the computer stated that the setup could not be completed due to insufficient rights or such. At that point I restarted the computer and then downloaded a uninstall program from Avasts website to unisntall the avast program that was currently on my computer and out-dated. I ran the uninstall and it stated that the computer needed to be restarted to complete the uninstall. So I restarted and then went back onto Avasts website to download the Antivirus program and recieved the same message. I check to ensure that I was logged on as the administrator, and I was. So I then logged in as Administrator and it still did not work. I then restarted the computer and then is when I started getting a blue screen during login. The blue screen state:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears agian, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable componets, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x829BA8EC, 0XF8993970, 0X00000000)
*** 0000168D - Address 829BA8EC base at 829BA000, Datestamp 4aa13ea5

Begging dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

***END OF MESSAGE***

The numbers under the technical information have been different each time I have restarted after recieving this message. I am able to restart and enter into SAFE Mode. After doing that I ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program and found 2 more infected files, and the program deleted them. However the program stated that it needed to restart to complete the removal, so I restarted and recieved the above message.

In safe mode I have ran Malwarebytes, and Combofix agian however each time I run these programs it still finds the file below:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\str.sys

I have the Logs from both time the Malwarebytes has been ran and when Combofix was ran if needed. What can I do now.

Advertisements

scvfd_7241

scvfd_7241

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, I have resolved the problem though using Microsoft Malicous File Remover.