Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Service Pack 2 Won't Install

• Please log in to reply

Ollie88

Ollie88

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello everyone. I recently tried getting service pack 2 installed onto my PC when i realised that windows update hasn't currently given me a chance to download as of yet, so I tried downloading the standalone version from the microsoft website. It will let me get to the point where it will start installing but immediately get to a screen where it says I must install service pack 1 first. I then downloaded service pack 1 and it tells me that I already have it installed on my pc.

If I right click on computer and click on properties it comes up that I have Windows Vista Home Premium with service pack 1 installed, so I have no idea where or whats going wrong. Also when I go on 'View Installed Updates' none about vista come up or service pack ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ollie

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Make sure updates are set for (install updates automatically)
go to control panel, then pick (check for updates) then in upper left plane
click on (Change settings) make sure it say's (install updates automatically).

In Control Panel, Uninstall or change a program, in the left plane did
you click on (View installed updates)? also try downloading service pack
two and save it, then go to your downloads and install it from there.

I hope this helps, also back up your you files before you start.

Dwight

Ollie88

Ollie88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes all updates have always been set to install updates automatically. As I said in my previous post I've already tried to look at 'View Installed Updates'. Also I have tried downloading it separately and installing it from there but thanks anyway.

Ollie

roobyroob

roobyroob

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I've actually had this exact same problem. I've checked everything. For all intents and purposes I shouldnt have a problem downloading service pack 2 but I get told into the installation that I need service pack 1 first, but I already have that installed. Any help would be great.

Amarjot Singh

Amarjot Singh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have almost the same problem except my laptop wont install 3 updates. It wont install update for
windows vista for x64-based systems (KB970430)
Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family update (KB951847) x64
and
Windows Vista Service pack 2 for x64-based systems (KB948465)
my specs are
manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model:HP Pavilion dv5 notebook PC
processor:Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
system type 64-bit Operating system
Adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9600m GT
Chip type GeForce 9600m GT
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Adapter String: GeForce 9600m GT
Bios Information: Version 62.94.1a.0.19

what can i do to install service pack 2