Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention prevents Userinit Logon Application

• Please log in to reply

Nate7410

Nate7410

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So today I began to suspect I had some serious viruses/spyware on my computer. Whatever it was, it wasn't allowing me to run any virus scans. So I restarted my computer in safe mode and was able to run a complete scan with SuperAntiSpyware. After removing about 50 things, it asked me to reboot my computer.

Upon rebooting the computer, I received a message that Data Execution Prevention had prevented the Userinit Logon Application, and after I closed that message, I was faced with just a black screen. I wasn't able to find any way to load Windows Explorer or anything else.

I have tried rebooting in both Safe Mode and in Directory Services Restore mode but in both cases, I'm told that windows failed to start.

With my other computer I downloaded PC Regedit and burnt it to a CD, and booted my computer from that disc. I was able to check the registry entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit\C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, and it appeared to be present and valid.

I don't know what else to do... I've reached the limit of my own knowledge. Please, can someone suggest a fix for this other than reformatting my computer?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You can try replacing system32\userinit.exe in the key value with explorer.exe. That may allow you to get on.

Apparently your userinit.exe in system32 has been infected. If you can do Start, Run, sfc /scannow, OK and it may replace it with a good one from system32\dllcache or if you use a boot cd you can manually replace it.

Ron