Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Extraction, Opening Files

• Please log in to reply

luckyjock55

luckyjock55

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Guys,

I have extracted a number of files from a laptop, (windows Vista), that would not boot. I am trying to open them on a PC, (Windows XP), but windows cannot open some because it does not know what program created it. Windows has directed me to a number of downloadable programs on the net probably well suited to this situation.
Are there some better than others?

Thanks

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

To be able to recommend a program to open a file etc we need to know the file format of the item you are trying to open.

The best way to do this would be to right click the file you want to open, click properties and then on the General tab look what it says next to Type of file

From there you can either google for a good result (but be very weary of what you download and where) or post back with the formats and I'm sure we can suggest something.

:)

Edited by rev_olie, 09 November 2009 - 05:24 PM.