Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pirates

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sitting at work bored as [bleep], and wondering. If someone goes out and buys a movie or album, and they put it on the internet for others to download, is that considered piracy, or just the people downloading the copied files who don't actually own it? I know it's legal to own something and make a backup of it. But, I'm thinking that the guy posting the material should be the one prosecuted first, because without a host, the leeches can't survive. But, I'm wondering is he doing anything illegal? It's like me buying the movie and making a copy and giving it to my best friend. Except in this case his best friend is millions of random people. Either way, no is making a profit from it. What's your take on this?

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
it's still illegal...We have a very nice write up on copyright laws by dsenette Here

Have a look there :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look at the beginning of every movie made now. It states Copyright infringement even without monetarily gain.
In simple form even if you make no money and share the movie due to ripping or online it is still considered copyright infringement.