Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can only start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

rillock

rillock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I start my computer it boots up and as soon as the desktop appears I get an error message. It reads, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will automatically restart in one minute. Please save your work now." I tried system restore. There aren't any restore points for before this started happening. It started about two weeks ago. I tried going to msconfig and disabling all non microsoft services and startup programs. It is still giving me the message and then restarting. I tried using the F8 restart with the last known good configuration option, it didn't work. I tried using RegCure, and had about 1400 errors that it fixed, that didn't work. I've deleted just about every program that I installed sinse I got the computer. I don't have any idea of what could be causing the problem. I can only use the computer in safe mode.

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey Rillock,

Here at G2G, we don't recommend the use of registry cleaners. They often cause more harm than good and, at worst, can really mess up a system. Most industry experts shun them.

Anyhow, it certainly sounds like you are infected. Please follow the instructions here to begin the disinfection process.

Thanks and good luck,

~os