Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download Problem

• Please log in to reply

bengaluru

bengaluru

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello Friends,

I recently had some virus problems which got resolved with the help of this forum.

I have now noticed that whenever I try to download from the internet, although I see that it is being downloaded and also specify the location to where it is to be saved, I do not find the file or application that I downloaded. The search also results in "Not found".

Why is this happening ?

I tried all the browsers and it happens every time. My OS is Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi bengaluru

is it possible to provide us with the link of your malware topic ?

did the problem occur right after resolving virus problems ?

cheers

ali.B

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Malware Topic

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
thanks rshaffer61

in the malware topic you seemed to be able to download tools all locations but your desktop.

is it the same situation or now you can't save them at all anywhere ?

is your system fully updated ?

do you have a valid windows disk ? we'll probably go for a installation repair.

cheers

ali.B

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks Ali B.

I am unable to save it anywhere. I tried different locations, but could not find the file or application although I see that the download happens. The small window that shows the download progress immediately disappears.

No I dont have a Windows Disk.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
I have been reading that ALOT of people had/have the same issue but the bad news is no one standard solution, each solved it in a different way.

What antivirus are you running on your system ?

try resetting IE settings.

cheers

ali.B

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Wow, this is certainly a weird problem. I wouldn't even know where to begin with it.

Does the behavior continue even in Safe mode?

~os

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks. I have AVG Antivirus.

How do I reset the IE Settings

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
See : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If that didn't work try doing a download in Safe Mode With Networking and see if that works.

cheers

ali.B

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first right click on a empty spot on your desktop...new...folder...name it new downloads...
download and install firefox...launch it...click on tools...options...general tab...some versions call it the main tab...in the downloads section put a tick in the save all files to...then click on browse...select the new downloads folder you just made...then go here and download ccleaner...check the folder and see if it made it there

Advertisements

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks ali.B and happyrock.

I will try and let you guys know. Take care

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks ali.B and happyrock.

Unfortunately both the solutions did not seem to work. I see no changes......in fact my computer has become very slow.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
You should consider going back the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal help forum and have your system checked again.

cheers

ali.B

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks aliB.

I found the solution to the problem. It was AVG Free virus software - on uninstalling it, I am able to download and save.

I was reading several forums and I realized that majority of the people who had similar problems got it fixed by unistalling the AVG Free Virus.

Thanks for your help.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I too just went thru some very similar challenges with the paid version with emails going back and forth to get it uninstalled and then reinstalled. I am quite happy with the protection it gives me when it is working but wonder if it is just the Vista AVG combo that is not working ot. some kinks of some sort. I finally got rid of it on my own file by file and cleaning up regularly then the re install went like clockwork - smooth.