Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best USB Wi-fi Adapter

• Please log in to reply

con3636

con3636

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
About a year ago my internal wireless card on my laptop gave out, as a solution I purchased a 500mW USB wi-fi adapter from wifi-link along with a 12dBi panel antenna. It works great! My wireless range is so much further than internal wireless cards. I can get the free wifi from my public library a block and a half away! Plus, it has included software to make it an access point so you can connect computers wirelessly, which I have used a few times when short of an ethernet cable. I highly recommend wifi-link for anything wifi. Their customer support is also very helpful as well.

I would be glad to answer any questions about the quality of wifi-link's hardware. :)

http://www.wifi-link.com/

Advertisements

carolsoucek

carolsoucek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you have to power the USB adapter via a separate DC plug or anything? Which wireless standards does it support?

con3636

con3636

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It is entirely usb powered, and it supports 802.11 b/g, I recommend it!

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
how exactly does a new antenna effect the overall connection to a standard router/adapter?

con3636

con3636

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The external adapter from wifi-link has a greater gain and can pick up further signals with more strength, the standard RP-SMA connector type allows many types of antennas to be connected.

Suki 1

Suki 1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all, Just a quick question. I am thinking of buying this USB Wi-fi Adapter from the same company you used. When you say that the software that came with your 500mW USB Adapter can make an access point for other computers in the house, does it lose or weaken the signal? That is great if it works!!!! and thanks !!!