Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 - Windows Explorer Hang

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Have Dell with 6 GB RAM & upgraded to Win 7 (64) ... never used Vista-64 (upgraded immediately after purchase). Once in a while (approx 4 times per wk ... I use PC 12 hours per day) Windows Explorer hangs as follows:

1) Boot
2) After boot completes, right click on an icon (to get to Delete, Properties, etc)
3) Hang (rotating spinner - used to be hour glass) ... once waited 25 minutes then gave up
4) Ctl-Alt-Del ... can do it
5) Start Task Manager ... CPU Usage = 1%, memory usage = 1.19 GB
6) Right click on icon again (think Esc yields same results) get:

Windows Explorer not responding

->check for solution and restart
->close program
->wait

7) choose 'check for ...'
8) Win 7 checks & Windows Explorer restarts
9) Right click same icon
10) Correct pull-down ... hang never happens again until I boot the next day (or days later)

Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?

Advertisements

f0xy

f0xy

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I Had this problem but i did a full format and touch wood its not happened yet, but it really did get on my nerves and couldn't find out what it was, have u found a fix?

The only thought i had that may of caused it was installing 3rd party themes that had accompanying explorer.exe's

Did you use any of these?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
My PC had Vista and I immediately got an update DVD from DELL/MS and upgraded before using the PC ... so I don't have a DVD with a 'base' Win 7. So a complete reload is a problem.

I have NO 3rd party themes with or w/o explorer.exe's Does anyone know the size of an MS explorer.exe?

Any other suggestions?

f0xy

f0xy

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
the only thing i can think of as u dont have 3rd party themes is it may be a bug in windows, i will have a browse on the MS forums,

I am not an official helper on this forum, i just seen your post and had similar problems :)

If you do find a fix will you post it here just incase i do get the problem again

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

... post it here ...

you got it !!

and thanks for replying