Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista 32-bit

• Please log in to reply

glmule

glmule

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built a new system and put in one 2gig stick of mushkin enhanced in it just to get it up and running. What i want to know is how much ram does vista 32-bit recognize?, and is there any problems with mixing kinds of ram or doesn't it really matter? Like if i wanted to buy 4 gig of kingston hyper x to put with my mushkin is there any problems with that and will my system recognize it? Thanks any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello glmule...

32 bit operating systems will recognize about 3.5 GB of RAM. To utilize more RAM would require installing a 64 bit operating system. This is true in all recent versions of Windows.

As far as mixing RAM, you can use different brands...and even different speeds...so long as you use the correct type of RAM for your motherboard. When mixing speeds of RAM, you will be limited to running at the speed of the slowest module. That is, if you install one stick of 800 MHz RAM, and one stick of 1066 MHz RAM, the machine will run with the 800 MHz speed.

wannabe1