Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help, attack of the IS 2010 issue

• Please log in to reply

jjjoseph

jjjoseph

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
all of the sudden, I am getting notices about Internet Security 2010, security alerts, and can't stop it. I ran our McAfee antivirus and spyway several times. I can't take control via Cntl-Alt-Del, telling me that the task-manager is not available. I get "Critical Warning" banner that my system is probably infected with a version of Trojan-Spy.html.visafraud.a

I can't boot very well in safe mode to try and rerun antivirus. I tried to load in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and get a error during the installation of "Unable to execure file: C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe. Create process failed; code 2, the system cannot find the file specified.

This is the download file from the forum as suggested.

so, ok, I then tried to run "rootrepeal" and get a logfile that "rootRepeal" crashed.

would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance

JJJSLJ

Advertisements

jjjoseph

jjjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok, well after a lot of digging and time, I think I finally got rid of the IS 2010 issue and a few other.

There was a very helpful link posted at:
http://www.bleepingc...t-security-2010

That did allow me to kill the IS 2010 issue.

following the steps, I downloaded and ran rkill.com first. This was done several times to clear the notices, popups, etc.

Then I ran MALWAREBYTES file. There was a problem here in that when I ran the setup, the MBAM.EXE did not get created. So, with help from bleepingcomputer, I ran the setup file to a usb drive, and then manually copied the mbam.exe to the malawarebytes folder.

When I ran that, it did start to run, but stopped due to another problem. So, working with a bleepingcomputer support/chat person, she recommended that I go into "my computer" select the "c:" drive, and then select a folder. so I right clicked on the "windows" folder and then selected MBAM to run.

That ran and found infected objects, which ran through the whole folder. When completed, I "removed selected", which when done, restarted the PC.

After the restart, I ran "RKILL.com" again, and then tried MBAM again. I left selected "full scan" and let it run. It ran through a full scan, and it did complete this time on its own. It did find more "infected objects" which also were removed.

So, now, I am trying to go back and re-run through posted instructions for Malware and spyware cleaning guide.

Hopefully that will run, which I will then post my OTL log, if it will complete...

Edited by jjjoseph, 15 December 2009 - 06:58 PM.