Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista keeps Freezing when idle

• Please log in to reply

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I don't know how to best describe this process but I'll try. I had some malware or something on my system recently that caused my browser to redirect to other internet sites. I 'fixed' this issue with some help from this forum, but now I'm having a problem where my computer keeps freezing whenever I leave it idle for a few minutes. All I've been running recently is Firefox, Itunes, and Microsoft word, so I'm not sure if the problem lies in any of these programs. After I reboot my computer, it seems to work fine, but after an hour or so, usually after left unattended for a few minutes, the screen freezes, and while the mouse is responsive, i can't get any of my windows to open. I've noticed that several times my word documents were in the process of autosaving. Also, the last freeze was different, as I kept getting notices that individual programs had stopped working and were shutting down. First was some sort of Cyber program which I had never heard of or used, next why my internet card, then I basically had to manually shut down my system. I'm in the middle of taking exams for school and this issue could not come at a worse time as I cannot run the risk of my computer shutting down in the middle of an exam.

If anyone has any idea of what to do please let me know.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Leave the computer idle for an hour, or so, with no programs open and see what happens.