Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Disk Space problem

• Please log in to reply

ajb66

ajb66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'd been having a problem with my computer reading pdf files for quite some time. A coworker suggested I reload my XP software. He gave me some basic instruction I thought I could follow easily and have regretted that decision for 3 weeks now. I loaded the software and learned two things:
1. The disk I have is a Windows XP Professional version and what I currently had on my computer and the license key are XP Home Edition. (I bought my computer from Nebraska Furniture Mart 4 years ago and had never looked at the disk. I seriously doubt they'll own up to supplying the wrong disk.) Anyway, I didn't have a key to license the Professional. (And I don't have a disk with the XP Home Edition) So I'm stuck.
2. As I obviously did not know what I was doing I some how managed to load the software to my Recovery Drive "D" so now I have the constant issue of "Low Disk Space" that pops up repeatedly. Some things won't function or download and my "system restore" is suspended because there's not enough space to run that function.
I've tried going to where you select the operating system you want to run and choosing the recovery (mode?) but it wants an administrator password - which I (to my knowledge) have never set and as it does not respond to "password" it seems like a lost cause.
The recovery drive "D" will not let me access any files. They are "hidden" and I've not found a way in to delete anything on that drive that would free any space on it.
I am probably out of my league here, but thought there might be someone who could offer a solution as to how can I delete the Professional Edition from my OS menu and my D drive?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
When asked for the admin password just leave it blank. Windows always asks for the admin password even when one hasn't been set, in which case you just leave it blank.

Advice: when you buy your next pc get it from a dedicated computer store and you are more likely to get the proper recovery discs for the version that's pre-installed.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi ajb66 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Bear with me as I get a better idea of how to proceed.
It sounds as you still have access to the computer. And that it still boots up.
A few questions.

Is this a name brand such as Dell, HP, Compaq,? or built by Nebraska Furniture Mart?
Is there a key on the XP pro CD that they gave you by mistake?
Is there a key on the XP home CD?
Is there a tag any where on the computer that might have the key?
Was there any documentation that came with it that they would have placed the key?
When you boot up the computer are you getting a choice for which OS to choose?

I've tried going to where you select the operating system you want to run and choosing the recovery (mode?) but it wants an administrator password

I assume you mean you went to safe mode???? by tapping F8? If no password is set, then you leave it blank and hit enter.
If this is a recovery console and you put XP pro in that partition, it probably wont work.

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.

123runner

ajb66

ajb66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
123Runner - To answer the questions you posed:
It's an HP computer I purchased at NFM.
The only key I have is on the sticker on the PC.
I have not found a key printed on either the disk or any of the paperwork.
The computer is still functional-for now.
When I reboot the computer and it opens up for me to choose what (system?) I want to operate I get three choices. Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition and Windows Recovery Console. (I believe this is what they are all called - I'd have to shut down to be absolutely sure) Anyway, as long as I choose the Home Edition everything seems to work OK I just constantly get the message for Low Disk Space. (And of course still cannot open any pdf documents which was my goal in trying to reload my Windows software in the first place) If I choose the XP Professional it tells me it has to be registered in order to run and nothing seems to work right. If I choose Recovery it asks me to enter a password - which I don't know. I think I've managed to attach the screen shot that you asked for - Thanks in advance for your help!

Screen_shot.JPG