Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read hard disk

• Please log in to reply

Emmy_87

Emmy_87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can someone please help me? I may have done something really stupid, and I could just kick myself for not saving to additional disks.

I have a Toshiba laptop with the Windows Vista operating system. I have been using DVD+R discs as a means of saving files to keep free space on my computer.
Last night I removed the disc while I played a DVD movie on my computer using Windows DVD player. When I reinserted the disc to continue work, the autoplay window did not pop-up, instead I got a message to drag files to disc, and was asked to name and format the blank DVD.

I went to the start menu and tried to open the file through Computer, Drive D, but it read again as a blank DVD. Then the disc began to format. I stopped the computer from completing the format, and when I take the disc out and look at the bottom, I can see that the disc is nearly full of files. When I check properties, it shows the disc is almost full and it shows an accurate amount of free and used space. But still whenever I try to open or search for files, nothing comes up.

Is there anything that can be done to retrieve these files?

Thanks,

Emmy

Edited by Emmy_87, 04 January 2010 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements