Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

specifics of regedit for adding the userinit.exe

• Please log in to reply

madmaven

madmaven

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Honestly this is a different compyter from the topic I started earlier today. I guess when it rains it pours. My neighbor called me about an hour agon and told me his troubles and it was the same story as my bro. His son advised him over the phone to use spybot to remove spyware and after he ran the spybot and rebooted he kept getting the loggin on then logging off loop. well I had read all the posts yesterday and this morning because my brother had the same problem. and I had the same problem with his machine so I told Cliff to birng his machine on over and I would try the recovery console. he is running XPhome put the disk in ranthe recovery and did the cd system32 from C:|windows then copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe and it did boot up HOrray. still has the lime green screen and the spyware but I am in the registry editor now and I followed the directions carefully Navigated to HKYE LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\NT\CURRENT VERSION\WINLOGON so in the right pane ther are several items about 27 items

the one I figured I needed was a red ab in a window followed by NAME Userinit TYpe is REG_SZ and the Data says C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe there is nothing about the wsaupdater.exe anywhere :) so I am wondering if I should change this data value from winlogon86.exe to the userinint.exe. :) sure do not want to screw it up anymore so if this is the correct value to change could you let me know?? there is no place else that says C:\windows etc....... under this key. thanks
MM

Advertisements