Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data recovery on a reformatted hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Fireball

Fireball

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum, please move it if it is!

So here's what happened. I have a 500GB portable external hard drive formatted in HFS+. I *accidentally* formatted this drive into FAT32 in Ubuntu. I am trying to recover the data that was on this drive.

I have tried using Data Rescue 3 for Mac and have had the following results. First, I should mention that the Mac cannot read the hard drive, and Disk Utility tells me the drive needs to be reformatted. So I'm guessing something is corrupted with the FAT32 format. I used Data Rescue 3's deep scan option and it was miraculously able to see all my files, intact, under "Found Files". It also had some "Reconstructed Files". I recovered everything, BUT the problem is, all the files under "Found Files" were corrupted, even though the file sizes seemed correct and it had its original filename and everything. The stuff under "Reconstructed Files" did not have original filenames but were able to be opened.

Most, if not all, of the files I need are under the "Found Files" option. Is there still a chance of recovering these files? I have one last idea, which is to use Disk Utility to reformat my hard drive as HFS+ and then re-scan it with Data Rescue. But I want to know if I can try anything else first. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Kerecia Hayden

Kerecia Hayden

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey am new and not sure if I can write this here my I think my problem is similar. Can I share a seagate external between a macbook air and a pcs??? Your help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated!