Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi l want to add music to my ipod and mp3 player? How?

• Please log in to reply

Aaronsky

Aaronsky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone from Australia ) Firstly i'm sorry if i'm in the wrong section. Ok my description might be a bit long, so l apologize. Basically this is the story, l have an ipod classic 120gb, and for the last year or so i've been adding songs using obviously itunes, but then l also bought a creative zen x-fi mp3 player recently, so what l am desperately trying to do is add all my songs to both players, and :) l don't buy songs from the itunes store, by the way, l just add them from all of my cd's plus my friends cd's. Now for the last 3 days i've spent hours on end looking for the best way to do this, i've looked up in google for transferring songs from my ipod to computer, and l know this has been covered before, and there are many computer programs out there, to my knowledge the best way to do this is to convert my ipod songs to my laptop/computer? right? anyway the situation is l followed some instructions the other day about how to do this manually, something about unhiding itunes song files, and all that, and l ended up deleting all the songs of my ipod, and now l have to re-import all those songs, but l also want to add them to my creative zen mp3 player and l know that if l import my ipod songs through itunes there's gonna be hassles again and i'm really scared that l'll muck things up all over again.
So is there any easy way l can do this (to add songs to both mp3 players) through one program, (apart from itunes) i'm aware of programs like winamp, and media monkey for the free trial versions, can they handle both of my players?
And l know that floola is completely free too.
I actually have a plan, i'm going to do soon, but l want to know if it will work, and please note l do not buy any music from itunes, l have hundreds of cd's already and plus my friend has plenty as well. Anyways my idea is that l am going to rip all of my cd's through windows media player, through to my hard drive, on a folder, and once they are on my hard drive l am going to use itunes to add them to my ipod, and then connect the creative zen mp3 player up, and add them all over again, into my creative zen using they're software?
So that's my plan, l don't know if it will work, so please tell me?
If anybody has any other better ideas please let me know, l really need to know?, cause obviously the problem is l don't know if you can use 2 portable music players on one computer? again tell me please? im not new to the internet, or computers, but obviously i'm not that knowledgeable on everything.

Any help would be great and much appreciated, thankyou. )

Aaron

i'm using a

hp laptop 120 gb
windows vista business
2.00 ghz speed
2 gb of ram
mozilla firefox
don't know what else to put?

p.s. sorry for the long post.

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey Aaronsky. :)

I am familiar with an ipod, so this is how I would do it:

Put all your music into iTunes in a main library. Then, when you hook your ipod up to the computer, simply sync your ipod with your iTunes and all your music will copy to your ipod.

As for the Creative Zen I don't think it is compatible with iTunes but I do believe it works with Windows Media Player. If this is the case then you will need to put all your music in Windows Media Player as well and do the same thing as the ipod. When you connect yo0ur Creative Zen, open Windows Media Player and sync the music. However, if the Creative Zen is compatible with iTunes then you are all set.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. :)

Aaronsky

Aaronsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi robin hood thanks for your reply, much appreciated, im actually considering using a program called media monkey l don't know if you know about that program, im gonna try the free version only. But what l want to ask with your answer, would l have to rip or import my cd's all over again with windows media player, because as l said im hoping to get all my songs (from my cd's) on both the ipod and creative zen mp3 player. I don't think there's a way to transfer my songs from the itunes library to the windows media library?
And finally this media monkey program can handle both ipod's and mp3 players, but l just have a question, if l put all my songs from my cd's into one library, i.e. the media monkey library, then l should be able to connect my ipod up and sync the songs, and then disconnect and then reconnect my creative zen mp3 player and do the same thing all over again, so can you do this? l just need to know this. Sorry for the dumb question, i'm really new to all of this portable music player, thingy, like ipods, mp3's etc. thank you bye )

Aaron

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Howdy Aaronsky. :)

Here is how I would handle the 2 libraries:

1. Create a Folder (ie. Call it Music and save it on your computer somewhere).
2. Rip your CDs to this folder (this way all your music will be located in a folder which means you won't ever have to rip them again).
3. Open iTunes and drag this folder into your library
4. Open Windows Media Player and drag the folder into your library

Do you see what I mean? This way, you put all your music in one folder and when you get more, you easily add it to both your music libraries. Not to mention it will save you hours of time.

Media Monkey: This is a good idea. Again, I would create a main library (see above) and drag the music into Media Monkey. This way, if anything goes wrong with Media Monkey you won't have to rip your music all over again. As for syncing, easily done. Simply hook your ipod up and sync the music, disconnect and then connect the creative zen and do the same thing. Media Monkey will work with multiple mp3 players, so not a worry there.

To recap: I would highly recommend you rip your music to a folder on your computer, regardless of which method you go for. This will save you time and means if anything goes wrong with your programs that you will still have your music.

I'm glad I could be of service. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Aaronsky

Aaronsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Robin Hood ) Thank you very much for your answer, it was a clear and detailed one, it saved me a lot of worries etc. But l just want to ask one more question l pretty much know what to do now, and l have already created a folder on my c: drive, and i've already added some music, mp3's), but l don't know how to drag the music files (mp3's) from my hard drive, to media monkey/or itunes couldn't you just go to the file heading and choose add file/or folders, same thing l guess, thankyou bye )

Aaron

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
You are very welcome. :)

Glad you went with the music in a folder, you will find it makes life a lot easier. :)

Ok, all you have to do is open the music problem (ie. iTunes). Select the folder with all the music and drag it into the Library of the music program. A message will then pop up showing you the transfer progress of the music.

Let me know how it goes. :)

Aaronsky

Aaronsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Robin Hood, thanks for answering, yeah l will add all my music to my ipod and mp3 player later today, but l have to ask another question, so forgive my ignorance. I've finally ripped all of my cd's and some of my friends to my harddrive, it's only about 6 or so gigabyte/s of music. But now l want to backup or transfer those songs onto about 7 blank cd's. I've spent the last day using some free backup programs, but after backing all the music up, a few times, l put the first cd in (out of 7 cd's) and l have some ZO1 file, now from research it's a zip file, and l can't open it up, so i'm not really into this whole back up thing, so a dumb question here couldn't l just burn my music to some blank cd's or copy and paste the music to my d: drive (or the cd/dvd rom icon) that shows up after l put in the blank cd, and what's the difference between backing up and burning, basically the same thing right? Once again thank you very much bye.

Aaron