Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locking down a users ability to do pretty much everything

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hey guys,

I am putting together a computer system to be used at bars and clubs etc. It is going to contain a piece of software that will be able to run music videos out of it. Basically I want to be able to boot the system into windows 7 and have it appear on the Desktop with my icons. The icons will then be shortcuts to different parts of the software, help manual etc. I want the start menu to be minimal, maybe only have the following.

- User Name
- My documents
- Limited Control Panel
- Devices and Printers
- Shut down and logoff
- And a list of the shortcuts from the desktop

---------------------

- I want to disable Right click on the desktop and anywhere inside folders, yet remain inside of software.
- Make it so the desktop background cannot be changed.
- Maybe a way to disable any display on boot up so the systems Hardware is not displayed, still have the option to boot into Bios, boot menu etc but this is pass worded.

No doubt there is allot more I'd like to have locked down, but I'll get into that more later if I can get started on this. Now I have been doing a little reading, only recently started with this area of my development so help will be appreciated. So far all I know is that allot can be done from the 'gpedit.msc' tool but how is this applied to a user account that boots straight up. So an admin account is separate and obviously has everything enabled.

Advertisements

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
This is a bump.

So nobody got any Ideas?

Edited by A Train, 01 February 2010 - 06:54 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you can do most of that with group policy on the machine..

click start, then type gpedit.msc in the search bar, then double click gpedit.msc to open the group policy editor, this HAS to be run as the administrator. you'll pretty much find every setting to stop or allow pretty much anything within the OS there. just remember that these policies apply to ALL local users, even the administrator, so if you lock yourself out of something it may be difficult to get back. so i suggest making sure you can get to gpedit.msc if you end up blocking access to drives and such

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
But how do you keep an account that will have access to everything? Thats really the big point as Id need to have an admin account that could be logged on on that PC and be able to access control panel and what not. Surely there is a way