Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Security Tools" malware and now cannot re-boot.

• Please log in to reply

shawnh

shawnh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everybody, I'm REALLY glad I found this site. I've got a problem - last night I ran Trendmicro Housecall on my desktop and it found a bunch of threats (49!), I ran the fixes on them then re-booted. When it came up after the reboot it was shoing all this bogus "Security Tools" antivirus thing (I have heard about this virus). I couldn't do anything as these windows kept coming up. I tried re-booting again and now it won't even re-boot! It just goes as far as the POST and then nothing. I can do F8 to get into debug mode but no matter what option I choose there, it won't go into any kind of mode.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks!
Shawn

Advertisements

shawnh

shawnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
One more quick note - I know I'll probably have to reinstall or repair Windows XP Pro, but before I do that I'm wondering about something. On the infected PC there is mainly one key Excel spreadsheet file that I *really* need right now. I'm a little leery of doing any OS restoring stuff for fear of losing this file (I put a lot of work into it). Would it be wise, do you think, to first take out the hard drive that has my file on it and "slave" it to my other desktop here and try and get my file off first? I saw a tutorial on the net on how to slave a hard drive... I'm not a techie but I could probably pull it off.

Thanks
Shawn