1) It's XP home, but for some reason the taskbar is set to Windows Classic - first clue I had there was an issue. Going to Display Settings it only gives an option for Windows Classic, yet it obviously doesn't only have that option...
2) Opening a new program (i.e. Word) doesn't register on the task bar - if you then close the window, it's gone
3) It won't recognise the LAN - it never had a problem before. I've never been able to make it work wirelessly, but the wired connection has been fine. First clue I had on this was that the Xbox wasn't reconising Vuze as it usually does, and then I registered that the LAN wasn't working. It's definitely not the cable, I checked it with another one and doesn't work either, similarly both cables work fine with Xbox/PC.
4) Tried to use 'System Restore' in the hopes that it would set the computer back to a point at which it worked, but this has been disabled by the 'Ssytem Adminstrator', even though it's a home computer and the only person using it is me
5) Similarly, I cannot access the 'regedit.exe' file, for the above reason
6) It tells me the 'Bluetooth Stack' isn't working, which I'm not sure I've ever used but apparently is a problem
7) It doesn't appear to have a Safe Mode - the black screen you usually get on a regular PC doesn't appear, and never has
8) I've run Spyware Doctor/ Spyware Terminator, it runs and cleans minor issues, and then tells me it's fine. CCleaner I used to clean the registry files, and it tells me it's found issues and then fixed them, but I don't know if it actually has
9) Tried to access 'User Accounts' in Control Panel, but it only brings up a blank window. I wanted to check if I had administrator priviledges or if there was an Administrator on there, but obviously I can't
10) I tried to run a wireless internet dongle this morning, to see if it could work from the USB, but the program installed on it first couldn't install, and the message that came up read along the lines of 'Windows Installer cannot work, it may be that the computer is in safe mode or the Windows Intaller is not installed correctly'
So those are the issues, I don't know if they are related or seperate issues. I don't know much about computers, and at the moment my netbook is essentially a very expensive paperweight!
Hoping someone can help. I know you often have HijackThis reports on here, but I installed that a while ago for another issue and it has never worked - it gets through part of it's log and just shuts down. Now it won't even open.